Ignition lock assembly

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
patrino
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Ignition lock assembly

Post by patrino »

Hello!

1966 D200. There's a LOT of slop in my ignition lock. Starting the truck requires a lot of "jiggling the key", to the point where it can be a minute or two of futzing to get the key turned from "lock" to "run"! The slop is in a few axes, too. I had a new key cut, thinking maybe the key was too worn to work the tumblers, but it didn't help.

Removing the ignition switch, I can see the play is between the ignition switch (the female cast aluminum part with the electrical flag terminals on the back) and the lock assembly (the male part that fits into the ignition switch).

I removed the lock assembly from the ignition switch, and that's clearly where the problem is; it takes me a minute or two just to get the assembly to turn.

Any recommendations for a replacement part here? I could take the assembly to a locksmith, but I'm guessing the thing's all boogered by 50+ years of use. Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks, Patrick

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Ignition lock assembly

Post by martincom »

The parts store will have replacement lock cylinders. It won't match the door locks, but if you have a competent locksmith, they could make it match.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/igni ... 100-series
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

Napa is were I get replacement, both the switch and the keyed part, as above a locksmith can match make it work (might need your old set)

patrino
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Post by patrino »

Thank you both!

I was able to pick up a new part from O'Reilly's, and am good to go!