62 Brake Light

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Ynez
State: CA

62 Brake Light

Post by wre805 »

Hey everybody. I’m chasing down some lighting issues. First one I’m tackling is: the driver’s side brake light doesn’t work. I will check the ground (and run a new ground wire to the bulb base probably), but right off the bat I found a couple questions that maybe someone can enlighten me on…

In the image below, what is this white wire that’s disconnected? Could that be part of my issue?

It’s D-9 on this wiring diagram (The blue arrow). And it is supposed to go into… something, at the red arrow. What is that? Is that my turn signal flasher?

Thank you in advance for any tips… old threads on brake lights / turn signals have been a big help so far.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: 62 Brake Light

Post by 712edf »

I don't think it's your turn signal flasher because that wouldn't be under the hood.
Where do D-14 & D-15 go?

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wre805 »

Thanks! I am not sure where to look for my turn signal flasher, any pointers on where that would be tucked under the dash on a 62 D200 are appreciated!

As for D-14 and D-15, they run all the way back to the tail lights junction. Here's that diagram again - https://i.imgur.com/r8melBq.jpg

D-14 is yellow and becomes the HOT wire when brake lights are on (I think). I think this wire is my issue. But I need to do more investigating.

D-15 is dark green and I believe is part of the funky circuit that switches between brakes+taillights vs brakes only vs taillight only - it's a ground sometimes and sometimes not. Like I said.. still investigating all this. I need to re-read some of the older threads. :lol:

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

My trouble is I am not schooled on the 60's trucks as I am on the 70's, and some things changed. On the 70's & later trucks the flasher was near the fuses, usually in vicinity of glovebox/dash or under dash in later models. I have no idea about 60's, some don't even use fuses.

Then there is the issue of how are the wires utilized for tail lamps, directionals, hazards & brake lamps. I don't have any manuals for years prior to 1968.

Generally when it comes to chassis wiring Yellow was Left (driver's) side, Green was Right side & brown was both (markers).

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Brake light circuit goes through turn signal switch. Input from brake light switch is sent to TS Switch and in turn supplies front turn signals or rear turn signal/brake lights. Check at plugs next to column with a tester to figure out circuit for each corner of truck. But confirm good grounds and correct bulbs at each corner.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Carlisle
State: PA

Post by sixpak340 »

Have you done a continuity test on the bulb itself?

Over the last few years, I have had brand new bulbs with continuity issues even when the filaments inside look perfect.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

wre805 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:50 pm
Thanks! I am not sure where to look for my turn signal flasher, any pointers on where that would be tucked under the dash on a 62 D200 are appreciated!

As for D-14 and D-15, they run all the way back to the tail lights junction. Here's that diagram again - https://i.imgur.com/r8melBq.jpg

D-14 is yellow and becomes the HOT wire when brake lights are on (I think). I think this wire is my issue. But I need to do more investigating.

D-15 is dark green and I believe is part of the funky circuit that switches between brakes+taillights vs brakes only vs taillight only - it's a ground sometimes and sometimes not. Like I said.. still investigating all this. I need to re-read some of the older threads. :lol:
What you are misunderstanding is that the brake and signal are the SAME filament at each bulb. The green wire to the rear is the right side brake AND signal, the yellow is the left side. They will BOTH be hot when you step on the brake with no signal. When the signal switch is activated for left, the yellow will flash hot and the green will be continuous hot....vise versa for right. This determination is made by the turn signal switch and the brake lights run thru it, since they are the same as the signal lights.
The brown wire to the rear operates the running lights and lic plate light.
The white wire you are looking at, D9, is an aux port to connect an additional brake light, such as a third light on the cab. It is rarely used and is normal to just be hanging free like you see it.
The flasher is under the dash near your left knee, probably just hanging on 2 wires in a 62. Its too dark here to go take a look right now.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Expounding on PwrWgnDrvr's comment, does the rear driver's side (left) turn signal function? If so, everything from the left rear lamp to the turn signal switch is OK. Continuing with the assumption the left rear turn signal functions, as your right rear brake lamp functions, the problem is most likely with the turn signal switch.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wre805 »

Thanks for all the insight. Sorry for the slow response, took the kids camping this weekend. Back in the garage tonight...

None of the turn signals function! I thought it would be easier to work on the brake light issue first, but now I understand that it is all one issue and I can't fix one without fixing the other.

I am getting a steering wheel puller so I can get to the TS cam and see what is happening in there. I did clean the horn button and it started to come back to life, so at least it seems the factory wires from the steering column area are intact.

I never did locate my turn signal flasher...

Oh and regarding the bulb - I connected the bulb straight to a battery to ensure both filaments were good (they were)

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The flasher has (2) 1/4" spade prongs at 90 degrees from each other. It goes into a plug with that shape with 2 wires coming out the back. On my 62 W300 it just hangs from the wiring harness near the pedal mount. Look for a plug with that shape.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

The flasher may just be missing,which would make it even harder to see just that little connector.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wre805 »

Yep, that was it, the flasher isn't there, there's just an empty 90 degree female connector hanging down. I'll pick up a flasher today and plug it in and see what happens.

Did the 62's have hazards? Don't see a button, pull, or toggle anywhere for that.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Even w/o the flasher the brake lights should still work. The brake light switch is mounted near the top of the pedal arm and has 2 wires attached. One is hot all the time, even with key off. The other goes to the turn signal switch.

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

wre805 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:36 am
Yep, that was it, the flasher isn't there, there's just an empty 90 degree female connector hanging down. I'll pick up a flasher today and plug it in and see what happens.

Did the 62's have hazards? Don't see a button, pull, or toggle anywhere for that.
Hazards were not a option till after 64 and were option after

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wre805 »

Thanks for more great info.

I plugged in a flasher - as I kind of expected, the turn signals are stuck turning left. So I'll need to get in there and check out that switch under the steering wheel.

However, this showed me that the rear left (driver) side turn signal works. So now I'm even more confused as to why the *brake* light doesn't work but the turn signal does.

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wre805 »

After I posted that I realized, of course the left brake light isn't working on the left, if the turn signal is stuck going left. It's overriding the brake light signal and only sending the turn signal instead. :banghead

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Did the brake light work on the right?
If not, start your search at the brake light switch.

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wre805 »

PwrWgnDrvr, yes sir, the brake light always worked on the right.

This morning I pulled the steering wheel. Disassembled the turn signal. Everything in there was pretty grimy, I don't know if it had ever been opened up. I used some electrical cleaner and lubricant to get the turn signal switch moving again, and everything came back to life.

So, all turn signals work, both brake lights work. Great! However, once I put it back together I realized that the little plastic extrusion that hooks into the lever mechanism to move the switch up and down, was actually broken off. White arrow in the image below. A common problem I bet.

My solution was to find a small screw, file it down so the head could fit in the housing where the cylinder was, and now it pushes into the plastic of the switch face.

Not a very great solution. I imagine the screw will wear on the switch surface, and eventually lose traction again. But I am out in the country, and don't need to signal much, and won't be driving it every day, so it works for now, and both my brake lights are back in action.

Would be curious to hear how others have solved that plastic bit

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Around here nobody has sense enough to use turn signals anyways.
I think your fix will work for quite a while. Especially if you only use turn signals when other motorists (or pedestrians) are around.
I bet the stuck switch was what caused the previous owner to pull the flasher out in the first place.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Is it just a nylon dowel pin? It appears very similar to the drive-in pin that secures the moulding clip for the fender mounted moulding that parallels the "swept" body line. Do you have any dimensions?

Another option could be a spacer commonly utilized to mount circuit boards. I have an assortment, offered by Digi-Key. However, my entire shop is packed in the front half of a semi-trailer, pending our move to Alabama. Here's a link to the web page depicting the spacers: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/fil ... ndoffs/582
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration