Generator Smoking! Need help with aftermath...

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Snowdog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: AL

Generator Smoking! Need help with aftermath...

Post by Snowdog »

So today after a nice little cruise in my '61, I came back to the garage 1 hour later to find that the generator was smoking, and the garage was filled with that beautiful burning wire smell.

From what I can tell its the voltage regulator. That's my guess after Googlin', anyway.

Third questions:

If I replace the voltage regulator, am I okay to go on with the generator as is? It was warm to the touch, but not hot.

I had been having an issue with my battery draining while the truck was off...guessing this would be the culprit?

Third...because an alternator is cheaper than a new voltage regulator, would a switch from generator to alternator be okay?

And yes, I disconnected the battery right away.

Cheers!
1961 Dodge D-100
Alberta, Canada

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Re: Generator Smoking! Need help with aftermath...

Post by Kaegi »

61 should have alternator?? maybe in Canada they came later? I would take it off and have it tested. its free to test. Generators are way tougher than alternators when it comes to shorts and environmental things like water and dust. also they dont require a voltage source to function.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points

Post by martincom »

I'm not knowledgeable on generators--before my time. If you have an alternator, the mechanical regulators were pretty reliable. I understand there are electronic replacements for them, but I have no experience with them to offer an opinion. If you're ever contemplating an electronic ignition, you may want to give some thought to that or updating to the post 1970 alternator which had an external factory electronic voltage regulator. The mechanical regulator alternator typically didn't have any output at idle speeds. As such, the voltage drops to whatever the battery state is less voltage drop in the wiring. The low voltage will cause many electronic ignition system to miss, as was the case with Chrysler electronic ignitions from 1973 forward and Mopar performance kits. If you go with an electronic replacement for a mechanical, you may want to check if it has a "constant output", continues to charge at idle speed.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Snowdog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer

Post by Snowdog »

Thank you everyone.
1961 Dodge D-100
Alberta, Canada