Speedo Cable 66 W200

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

Speedo Cable 66 W200

Post by SteveH »

My 66 W200 has no speedo cable. It came to me without one. The truck had a factory automatic and was changed to a Four speed at some point. Dunno if that means anything or not, but it also had a Stewart warner gear reduction in the box of junk that came with it. There is a place for the speedo cable to attach to the transfer case,…but what speedo cable should I get? Length? And also ,…what’s with the gear reduction thingy (technical term) for ? Do I need it,..and if so, what/where/how is it mounted, and which length cables (two now) are required.? My guess is it doesn’t need the gear reduction thingy and it was just in the box of junk and I only need one cable,…length?
But I have no idea. Any ideas from yall are appreciated. Thanks. Steve

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Re: Speedo Cable 66 W200

Post by 67step100 »

Can't help you with the gear reduction question but the 4x4 trucks use the longer cable I believe. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was told my 4x2 uses the shorter cable and the 4x4's the longer.

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

I used this one on my truck, from transfer case to speedometer.

ATP Y803

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 5&jsn=1221

BUT, I have a trans and transfer case from a 1992 Dodge. So your mileage may vary.

Aaron
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

67step100 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:50 pm
Can't help you with the gear reduction question but the 4x4 trucks use the longer cable I believe. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was told my 4x2 uses the shorter cable and the 4x4's the longer.
That is correct. :Thumbsup

John

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

If the speedometer was driven from the transmission rather than the transfer case, it would require some form of a gear reduction unit to offset between the high and low ranges offered by the transfer case. I'm going to assume yours is driven by the transfer case output. As such, it wouldn't be required.

A word of caution in regards to parts store, China junk, speedometer cables. I purchased one for my D100 two years ago and replaced the speedometer at the same time. The speedometer needle oscillated wildly, intermittently, and at any speed. At first, I had concluded it was wear in the speedometer bushings and the spinning cable driven drum was making contacting with the needle arm magnets (the shafts did have a lot of play in the bushings). Upon having the speedometer rebuilt, I had the same issue. Now I started to suspect the new cable.

I pulled the cable from the sheath. I lightly clamped one end in a vise, pulled the cable taunt, and attempted to rotate it counterclockwise (the normal driven direction) and could obtain better than a 1/4 turn of rotation with mild force. When I attempted to rotate it clockwise, it could not be. The cable had the wrong "lay" of the strands. The oscillation was from the cable lay being unwound, then springing back.

I obtained a replace cable from Bob's Speedometer, where they fabricate them in-house to the length required. Problem solved.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration