1971 D100 Fuel Sending Unit Replacement

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

1971 D100 Fuel Sending Unit Replacement

Post by martincom »

The sending unit in my D100 became intermittent due a to fatigued wiper in the sending unit rheostat. This D100 is a CA truck with the evaporative control system. The evaporative system utilizes a unique fuel tank with additional vent nipples and more significantly, an internal 1.4 gallon tank with a small inlet/outlet hole to allow for fuel expansion. The non-CA trucks had 25 gallon tanks and the CA trucks were rated at 23 gallons. The outer shell was identical between the two, but the CA tanks reduced rated capacity is attributable to the internal expansion tank.

My options for a replacement sending unit were limited. A used unit would be difficult to locate due to it's corresponding uniqueness to the tank. The reproduction stainless units appeared as if they maybe a substitute. I ordered one for comparison.

Below are photos of the OEM sending unit:
Float Arm Length.jpg
Float Arm Length2.jpg
Pickup Tube Length.jpg
Pickup Tube Length2.jpg
Pickup tube depth of 16":
Pickup Tube Tank Length.jpg
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 1971 D100 Fuel Sending Unit Replacement

Post by martincom »

Stainless Reproduction Fuel Sending Unit photos:
Repop Sending Unit.jpg
Repop Pickup Depth.jpg
The OEM pickup tube had a tank depth of 16", as depicted in the corresponding photo. The repop's pickup tube has a tank depth of 13" (without the strainer---the OEM was not equipped with a strainer). As such, the repop's pickup tube will require lengthening to utilize the tank's rated fuel capacity. I desired to retain the pickup's strainer. I measured the tank depth in a few locations across the bottom to determine if any tank wall contours would impact the depth possible of the larger diameter strainer. I also desired to have the strainer parallel with the tank bottom, which would allow the actual pickup tube inlet be deeper into the tank, achieving more usable capacity. The tank depth measured 15.25":
Tank Depth.jpg
I fabricated an extension for the pickup tube from 5/16 steel line. My preference would have been to utilize an inverted flare coupling. However, as the repop was constructed from stainless steel, including it's pickup tube, the stainless would have been too much for my inverted flare tool. So I utilized a compression coupling:
Repop Float Empty.jpg
Repop Extension Depth.jpg
Float Arm & Rheostat

I had placed the repop unit over the OEM unit and compared the float arm length and arc. They appeared to be equal or nearly equal. So I moved on to calibration of the float arm/rheostat. The first step was to establish benchmark resistance readings that corresponded to the gauge itself. I did this by connecting the sending unit feed wire, from the gauge, to a resistance thumbwheel decade box. This box would allow me to dial-in resistance levels with a 1 ohm resolution. Please bear in mind these measurements are likely unique to my truck and may not exactly correspond to yours. This, in part, would be attributable to the fact I had replaced the mechanical voltage limiter, integral to the fuel gauge, with a solid state, IC chip, 5 volt regulator. The mechanical voltage limiters are known to fail with age.

Decade Box Resistance Fuel Gauge Needle Position

7 ohms Full graduation

60 ohms Empty graduation

95 ohms Needle Resting at Empty Stop

79 ohms Needle half way between Empty graduation and stop

I adjusted the float arm stops, pictured below, with a pliers, so the repop's sending unit rheostat measured 5.9 ohms when the float arm was against the full stop. In this manner, the fuel gauge needle would read just beyond the full graduation when the tank was full. The float was approximately 3" below the upper level of the tank, which would be the full fuel level of the 23 gallon tank, with the internal expansion tank. This same float position could be utilized for standard tank. It would just have a couple gallons more fuel to consume before the gauge dropped below the full level.
Repop Float Stops.jpg
I adjusted the empty stop so the float would drop lower and the rheostat measured 79 ohms. This still left some reserve capacity once the gauge needle quit moving with a further consumption of fuel.

The gauge graduations will not correspond to tank remaining capacity. This is because the sending unit rheostat has a linear taper. However, the fuel tank shell narrows from bottom to top. As the upper portion of the tank is narrower, the gauge will level will drop more quickly, compared to the lower portion of the tank, for a given rate of fuel consumption. For example, the gauge read just above a half tank when I filled up this morning. It only took 6 gallons to fill the tank.

I haven't ran the truck out of fuel (yet) to know the actual usable capacity of the fuel tank.

Fuel Sending Unit Outlet Nipple

The OEM fuel sending unit's outlet nipple pointed to the right side of the vehicle. The reproduction fuel sending unit's nipple pointed to the left. So it will require a longer length of connecting hose, as depicted in the photo below:
Repop Tank Installation.jpg
The rubber O-ring, tie wrapped to the float, is to dampen what would otherwise be a clanging of the float against the tank wall, with fuel slosh.
Attachments
Repop Extension.jpg
Last edited by martincom on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Great information! :Thumbsup Thank you for taking the time to put this all together. :clap

John

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

Thanks for the info. Just recently discovered the large tank differences. The new repop sending unit from Van's doesn't read correctly in mine.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

WisD100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Custer
State: WI

Post by WisD100 »

martincom--

Thank you for doing a detailed comparison of the OEM and aftermarket fuel sending units. This information is important to 1970 and 1971 owners now will only become more important as earlier versions of the D100 need recalibration or have sending unit failures.

--WisD100

I took a look at the Board Index and didn't notice a "Sticky" section, this thread should be highlighted as a sticky.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

My 75 W600 also has an in-cab tank. My sender is bad. I think I have found a replacement. But I am tempted to just install a clear sight tube at the end of the tank (driver's side), similar to what is used on reservoirs on industrial equipment. I only need to know the fuel level when I get in it. This is not a long range touring vehicle. :lol:

Your writings on electrical matters are very in depth. Do you post on the ramcharger site? A high percentage of poster's issues on that site are electric related.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

JoeBWhite
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Plymouth
State: MI

Post by JoeBWhite »

Hi all. Came across this conversation searching for information about how to replace the bum fuel sending unit in my 1961 D100 TownWagon (318.)

Is there are an aftermarket "universal" sending unit that will fit/function with these trucks?

I did find the Vans store on Ebay.

thanks.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

Update: I consumed fuel until the gauge needle was directly over the empty graduation. It required 13 gallons to fill. As I have the 23 gallon tank, this would mean I still have 10 gallon remaining. However, I've yet to run the truck out of fuel to verify the actual, usable, capacity of the fuel tank.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Rheostat Taper

Post by martincom »

In my OP, I discussed that the fuel gauge indication did not correspond to the actual remaining tank capacity. This was because the repop sending unit utilized a presumed linear taper or, at a minimum, a taper that didn't correspond to the tank shape. So what is taper?

Taper would be the resistance of a rheostat or potentiometer for the wiper position within the arc of it's travel. A linear taper rheostat would have wiper resistance value directly proportional to the wiper position within the arc. The repop sending unit has a measured rheostat value of 79 ohms, which will round up to 80 ohms, for simplicity, in this example. With a linear taper, the resistance reading will be directly proportional to the wiper's position within the arc: at the 1/2 arc position it would be 40 ohms, 3/4 arc would be 60 ohms, 1/4 arc would be 20 ohms. This would serve a fuel tank that has uniformed dimensions from top to bottom.

However, the 1970 and 1971 sweptline fuel tanks did not have uniform dimensions from top to bottom. Perhaps the earlier fuel tanks do not, either. I've never inspected one to know. As the '70/71 tanks narrow from top to bottom, a linear rheostat will result in the remaining capacity being incorrectly displayed on the fuel gauge, as the bottom portion of the fuel tank holds more fuel than the upper.

The OEM fuel sending unit's rheostat was tapered, to correspond to the shape of the fuel tank. The rheostat's resistance would not be directly proportional to the position of the wiper within the arc. Utilizing an 80 ohm rheostat again as the example, it would measure 25 ohms at the 1/2 arc position, 13 ohms at 3/4, and 30 ohms at 3/4 arc (example only assumptions). The rheostat in the fuel sending unit is constructed from a length of resistance wire that measures 79 ohms from end to end (of the arc travel). It is wrapped around a piece of fiber board. If the rheostat had a linear taper, the physical spacing between the windings would be equal. However, with a tapered rheostat, the spacing changes from one end of the arc travel to the other. Near the full end of the arc, the spacing between windings is quite a bit greater than the spacing at the empty end of the arc. As such, the tapered rheostat sending unit provides a much more accurate indication, on the fuel gauge, of remaining fuel.

Below is a photo of a '71 fuel sending unit rheostat I pirated from a Facebook post. If you look closely, you can see the physical spacing of the windings is much greater at the full end of the arc than the empty.
OEM rheostat.jpg
The repop sending unit is for earlier fuel tanks. While I doubt it, they may have uniform dimensions from top to bottom. If so, a linear taper rheostat would be correct for that application. However, I'm more inclined this a result of the usual China quality. A linear rheostat requires less engineering and is cheaper to manufacture or it was simply overlooked with the assumption the fuel tank had uniform dimensions from top to bottom. So while the repop sending unit is not perfect, it is still far better than no fuel gauge at all.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T