Brake Lights: One Side Only?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Tatohead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nampa
State: ID

Brake Lights: One Side Only?

Post by Tatohead »

Hello again,
Still the new guy! Thanks for the help in other threads. In a nutshell, here is the situation:

Taillights (not brake) work on both sides
Turn Signals work on both sides
Brake light works on the left only

Because I've got right turn signal, I couldn't be the bulb. Because I have brake light on the left, it couldn't be the brake light switch.

And so my mystery....

Any help appreciated!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Brake Lights: One Side Only?

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Turn signal switch.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

I had that exact same issue and through tracing wires from one end to the other found there was a bullet connector unplugged under the dash.

Tatohead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tatohead »

Do you by chance have a link or supplier for that switch? My turn signal cancel doesn't work, and the cam seems to be widely available. I assume I need the full mechanism and wiring? THANKS

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Tatohead wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:06 am
Do you by chance have a link or supplier for that switch? My turn signal cancel doesn't work, and the cam seems to be widely available. I assume I need the full mechanism and wiring? THANKS
Try taking it apart and cleaning and tweaking it. New dielectric grease for slip. What have you got to lose. :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

You didn't mention your year/model and the turn signal switch did change over the years. So I can't be specific. I've seen them from the usual sweptline parts suppliers and on ebay. For some reason, the forum also blocks links from certain suppliers.

I replaced mine and it was a China repop. I had to fiddle with it (reaming/filing/sanding) to get it to not bind up. It works, but it could be better. When operating manually, when changing lanes, the off detent can be difficult to find and I've had the switch half way between on and off more than once. However, it is better than it was.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Tatohead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tatohead »

Thanks for the replies. 1968 D100

I got the steering wheel off and it was as expected. Cancelling cam arms are gone. The cam itself is riveted on, and only one screw is visible (is there another screw under the cam to remove the full unit?). The bad news: the plastic arm that holds the horn roller/spring is melted, and it looks like I'll need to replace the full unit anyway. Or, put on a remote horn button, but really want to avoid that if possible.

I am genuinely surprised that these aren't widely available. There are tons of Sweptlines still on the road!

Tatohead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tatohead »

Photo for reference. Just the one screw visible. Is there another in there for removal purposes? Thanks
Attachments
signal.JPG

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I found an NSO horn switch on ebay last summer for mine. I've found the secret to finding a lot of these items is to search by PN, rather than application. A lot of folks selling parts bought out dealer inventories of obsolete items, and have no idea the application. If you need the PN, let me know. I have parts manuals from '36 to '76.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration