Another turn/brake light question.

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
ScrooLoose
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Doylestown
State: OH

Another turn/brake light question.

Post by ScrooLoose »

Hello all.
I'm working on my 62 D100 SWB /6 3tree. I'm having intermittent brake light problems accompanied by intermittent blinker problems. I believe I have chased the problem down to the blinker switch causing them both. With the blinker lever up or down to activate turn signals and jingling the lever around a little bit causes the blinkers and brake lights to stop working and start working again. I'm confident it is not a ground problem. I pulled the steering wheel, cleaned everything up with contact cleaner, lubed the switch and toggle arms up reassembled. And still having the same problems. Am I correct in that it is probably the switch? Is the switch repairable? Or are replacements offered? It is the older style with them metal cancel toggles. If replaceable does anybody know the part number.
Thanx.
SL.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Another turn/brake light question.

Post by dodgeboykim »

Turn signal switch will cause problems just like you said. Might try cleaning switch as the original grease type lubricant may be crud by now.
But you may still need to replace switch. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

If the '62 turn signal switch is the same as the '61 ( metal vs plastic on later versions), they are difficult to source and pricey. They pop up on Ebay occasionally . I may have one in my stash. :thinking
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

ScrooLoose
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Doylestown
State: OH

Post by ScrooLoose »

Well good news. Woke up this morning to 4" of snow on the ground. (that's not the good news) With not much to do outside due to the snow. I decided to look into the switch again. Pulled the wheel and removed all the blinker parts except the switch due to it is wired in with no disconnect plug. Then I jumped in and took the switch apart. Was not as difficult as I was thinking it was going to be. After looking it over I'm think the little springs were not strong enough to hold the contacts in place when they are sliding back and forth causing it to give false signals. So I cleaned everything up. Put some more twing in the springs by just stretching them out a LITTLE BIT. Then reassembled it with light coat of D grease. And when folding the little tabs in I put a good bit of pressure on them to squeeze the switch together and help hold the contacts in place. Blinkers and cancel seems to work perfect in the garage. Will see how well after few hundred cycles.
Attachments
Switch front 2.jpg
Switch back 2.jpg
Blowed up switch 2.JPG

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Good for another 59 years.