is there a Leece Neville guru here?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
hosehead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grove
State: OK

is there a Leece Neville guru here?

Post by hosehead »

Hey guys, I am humbly asking for some direction on my 65 d100 that has a sert for HD alternator on the tag. It has a Leece-Neville voltage regulator/generator? on the firewall. I am curious about an alternator. The truck didn't come with an alternator and I'm guessing I'll need a certain type to have the charging system working properly. I did get a huge alternator bracket with the truck that looks like it mounts a pretty big alternator.
So are any of you well versed in these thing? I just need some info to get pointed in the right direction.
Thanks everyone.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: is there a Leece Neville guru here?

Post by Wildergarten »

hosehead wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:29 pm
Hey guys, I am humbly asking for some direction on my 65 d100 that has a sert for HD alternator on the tag. It has a Leece-Neville voltage regulator/generator? on the firewall. I am curious about an alternator. The truck didn't come with an alternator and I'm guessing I'll need a certain type to have the charging system working properly. I did get a huge alternator bracket with the truck that looks like it mounts a pretty big alternator.
So are any of you well versed in these thing? I just need some info to get pointed in the right direction.
Thanks everyone.
It was a 60A beast, usually used on police cars. I suspect you may be able find some part numbers that way.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

hosehead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grove
State: OK

Post by hosehead »

Thanks Mark. Here is a link to one. Is this what you mean?
Cory

https://www.ebay.com/i/373016683782?chn ... EUQAvD_BwE

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

hosehead wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:42 pm
Thanks Mark. Here is a link to one. Is this what you mean?
Can't say; I might have better luck looking at the back end of it. This was the mit-to-late '70s when I was just a pup learning on my own. The one I had come off a cop car to be installed on the diesel motor boat I'd brought back from a sunken wreck. I had to pull the sheeve and machine it for a single 3/4" belt. It paired with the first solid state regulator I'd ever seen and fed a BIG Leece Neville series-parallel switch for a 24V starter. The switch looked a lot like this beast: https://www.robertsandson.com/product/650-10151/

Made the circuit up with 2-0 wire for the starter and #6 for the alternator because of the run lengths, and you can only imagine the array of 6V batteries. Gotta say, that whole business brings back some memories. Living aboard in a delelict marina in Oakland, CA was a serious learning experience, but it was pretty rugged, and at times just a bit extreme.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org