1970 bulkhead wiring for radio

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Dimas/CA

1970 bulkhead wiring for radio

Post by DicksDodge »

I have searched and cannot find anything on this (but I'm sure I've seen the info somewhere). I cannot find a radio on any wiring diagram. I have a fuse in the block and it is switched. Without tearing the firewall apart, can anyone tell me which wire it is that comes out of the bulkhead connector?

Thanks,
1970 W200 Camper Special 383/4sp.
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab LB Cummins

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: 1970 bulkhead wiring for radio

Post by dodgeboykim »

If it had a radio they're should be a plug in vicinity of radio location. Probably would have switched power and orange wire for dash light circuit. If it never had a radio at all, It will probably need the wiring installed to fuse box. Ive seen that many times before. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

Thanks for the reply. The wires were butchered a bit over the years but I'll keep checking. There is a plug there, but it is not working at all right now. Of course, I noticed the dash lights are not working either, so it may be a deeper problem. Gotta love old wiring.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

DicksDodge wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:41 am
Gotta love old wiring.
I don't. I like the Packard style spade connectors used in the 69+ trucks for all but high current applications (the alternator lines fry the firewall bulkhead connector). One can get into them easily to replace the contact set with molded plugs that fit the components and go from there better than OEM. The switches are pretty good if you don't put too much current through them (LED lights fix a lot of that). But that vinyl insulated wire sucks. The gauge is usually too small. The fuse block is too tight. Taping everything makes it completely inflexible. With THHN, wire loom tubing, relays and fuse blocks one can solve all those problems. Check out Blue Sea Systems for some of the marine electrical hardware they make. It's killer.

The big and unreasonable expense is wire, and for the life of me I don't understand why somebody hasn't marketed bundles of colors THHN wire in 25' lengths appropriate for a truck along with the rest of the pieces in kit form, complete with instruction sets for the various trucks that people rebuild. Seems to me it would be a good little retirement business. Wouldn't be surprised to see Blue Seabe willing to help arrange financing or even take it up as a potential division.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

I agree with the wiring system in general. I see, sometime in the future, a complete rewire. None of the big companies have branded wires specifically for my truck, but there are some great systems out there. I dread the idea of performing the work, but I'm sure it will save a lot of aches and pains in the future.