Is it a fuse

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pendleton
State: OR

Is it a fuse

Post by irontwist »

Looking for answer concerning a rectangular shaped electrical component on top of the left inner fender on the 66 Power Wagon W-200. When I was bleeding the clutch I shorted out this component with a wrench. There are 2 connection on this thing a red wire from the battery and a red wire going to the starter relay. The shop manual doesn't show this component, what is it?, My guess is a fuse. So when I turn the key starter turns the motor but engine will not stay running. Did I fry the relay or is it the mystery component that I Shorted? My truck is titled 67 but according to registry it was made in 66. Dodge truck service manual says serial numbers starting with xxx-1543000. My serial # is 2281606265, does this manual cover my truck?, or is the manual for a earlier year. I looked at the serial in the registry, and I think the manual is for 1965 but I'm unsure. Last but not least are aforementioned parts available NOS? Thanks so much for any help.

oldfrogdiving
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: melbourne
State: FL

Re: Is it a fuse

Post by oldfrogdiving »

Do you have a pic? could it have been the Ballast resister?
66 D200 225 uti (ex mil, gone but not forgotten)
71 W200 318 4spd limited slip 67k
89 F250 7.3 idi 61k
87 Dodge Raider 91k
96 F350 4x4 PSD 109K

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by irontwist »

Here is a picture of the part I shorted out, I’m assuming since it is a series connection inline with the battery and the starter relay that I can isolate and ohm test the part to see if it is open therefor causing the engine to stop after releasing the key? Thanks again for the help.
Mystery component
Mystery component
6B3F1B0E-622A-4E9F-B952-000A5D9DF218.jpeg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 332 times

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by irontwist »

The part is called a self closing circuit breaker. The only thing I can figure is this part is opening when I release the key causing the engine to stop. Maybe when I shorted the part the circuit inside of it opened, but when I ohm tested it it said the circuit was complete, Do not understand why it allows me to actuate the starter and turn over the motor, but the motor quits when I release the key.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

irontwist wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:03 pm
Here is a picture of the part I shorted out,
Looks like a circuit breaker.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

irontwist wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:08 pm
The part is called a self closing circuit breaker. The only thing I can figure is this part is opening when I release the key causing the engine to stop.
You have other possibilities. You could have a shorted wire elsewhere with melted insulation. So every time you turn the key, that short draws so much current the breaker trips.
irontwist wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:08 pm
Maybe when I shorted the part the circuit inside of it opened, but when I ohm tested it it said the circuit was complete, Do not understand why it allows me to actuate the starter and turn over the motor, but the motor quits when I release the key.
The key switch supplies two cirtuits via two separate wires. "I2" is the "start" position. It goes via an orange wire directly to the ignition on the downstream side of the ballast resistor, effectively supplying 12V directly to the red wire that goes to the coil. "i" is the "run" position. It supplies 12V via a red wire from the switch to the up-side of the ballast resistor, thus providing 5-6V to the coil. Disconnect the ballast resistor on the coil side and look for a short to ground in the wiring between the lug corresponding to "I" on the switch and the ballast resistor.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The problem is not with that circuit breaker. You have power to the coil during the engine cranking position on the ignition switch and none when the key moves to the run position. Usually that is a bad ballast resistor or ignition switch. Occasionally it is wiring between those components. You could simply bypass that circuit breaker and see if everything then works. (put both wires on the same post and it will be out of the circuit) That breaker is not a factory installed part nor even needed.

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by irontwist »

That explains why it is not in the shop manual wiring schematic. I will go out and trouble shoot using suggested option. Bummer is it was work fine before I installed clutch slave cylinder and plumbing. thanks for everyone's help.