Horn

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Eagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boise
State: ID

Horn

Post by Eagle »

Hi have a 67 dodge d100 it keeps blowing fuse for the horn when I turn the key to on any help thank you

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Horn

Post by Wildergarten »

Eagle wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 pm
Hi have a 67 dodge d100 it keeps blowing fuse for the horn when I turn the key to on any help thank you
This problem has the stench of a wiring harness that has been jury-rigged under the dash to bypass a prior failure. All sorts of bad stuff could be happening. MANY of the electrical problems in this truck are caused by an alternator line that overheats and melts insulation inside the harness because Dodge used only 12AWG wire for that circuit. That harness is where I'd look first.

The horn circuit, being a large wire with 30A that is seldom used is a definite candidate to be tapped for other uses. That unswitched line is supposed to go from the fuse block through the firewall to the horn. The ground leg from the horn is switched by a relay that itself sends a ground leg for the relay coil back through the firewall to the switch on the wheel. The horn itself is only supposed to work when the coil side of the relay is grounded at the switch.

The horn is only SUPPOSED to get power from the fuse on the unswitched side of the circuitry (it's supposed to work with no key). If someone tapped that line, you likely have a short from the unswitched horn circuit line going to ignition switch as a source of power for those switched circuits as an alternative to something that had previously failed. This suggests a second problem of a shorted line somewhere downstream from the ignition switch.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but this sounds like an all-too-common mess.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I would suggest disconnecting your steering column harness and fishing
the wires out of the column. There might be a bare portion of the wire
that's contacting the column or steering shaft. :2cents :idea

John

Eagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boise
State: ID

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for the help

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Hobcobble wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am
I would suggest disconnecting your steering column harness and fishing
the wires out of the column. There might be a bare portion of the wire
that's contacting the column or steering shaft. :2cents :idea

John
If its the horn wire in the column that's bare and touching ground, the horn will just sound continuously, it won't blow a fuse.