Brighter headlights?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Brighter headlights?

Post by WD »

Marker lights were easy, big rig led swap. Yes, I know 69 had reflectors, not marker lights.

Taillights are easy, add sockets with led bulbs. Or convert to pure led units with built in back up lights.

Headlights though... LMC harness with relays? LED big rig sealed beam conversion that look stock? Generic 7” led “alien insect eyes” sealed beams? Just use grill mounted small led light bars to supplement the stock sealed beams?

Big rig lights that look stock run $350 and up... ouch. LMC harness is Ford/Chevy, but, 7” lights all connect the same... generic 7” led are uglier than a shaved down dirty dog’s butt...

TN roads are terrible. Bad striping, lots of brush overhang, deer everywhere, wild hogs in the bottoms... Have hit 3 deer and 2 hogs with the C10. Yesterday there were 10-15 donkeys in the middle of my road. Stock sealed beam are no longer adequate.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Re: Brighter headlights?

Post by Jim100 »

10 to 15 donkeys? I think brighter headlights are the least of your problems! Kidding but wow.
I switched as you probably already have to halogens that were better. So no direct easy LED swap?

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Not that aren’t very expensive, or Chinese garbage. Can’t find a decent middle ground. Even the direct fit, same plug in, same retainer 7” motorcycle headlight inserts are junk. Or ugly. Bad enough I’m using led units at all on a vintage truck.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Post by BigJimG »

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... -headlamp/

Last time I checked these are about 45 a piece. I run the E-code/ECE set on both my CJ7 and my Motorcycle. If you combine with a relay harness you can up the wattage from stock 60/55W bulbs for extra brightness.

If you use the SAE/DOT conversion headlamps, don't increase the low beam wattage. The ECE pattern has a discrete upper cutoff and throws the light to the side of the road to light up road signs and the shoulder. The SAE/DOT low beams are regulated to partially illumenate overhead signs, so an increase in wattage ends up being wasted, only blinding oncoming traffic.

I'd really like to get a set of the 5 3/4" beams for my 63, but the depth of the bulbs is different, and I am not sure if I want to modify the core support for clearance (if needed) as some others have run into with the 5 3/4" conversions on American cars. Plus I need to buy 4, not just 2.
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

I agree. I put relays on the '74 Plymouth that I had (sold to buy my truck) and it was a big difference.

I'd rather have 4 hi-lo, rather than single low + low/high. Most of the time when I can't see well enough, I also don't have the option to put my brights on.

I'd like to put a fog LED light bar behind/below the front bumper.