Kelsey Hayes brake controller

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Kelsey Hayes brake controller

Post by 63d100sixer »

My ‘68 has a really old hydraulic brake controller.

There are 3 wires off the back of it. Black, Blue, and Red. Red is tied into the brake light switch. Blue goes out the cab and out towards the rear. The black is not hooked up. It had a connector that looks like it makes it a ground.

As far as I can tell, everything works as it should. The lever moves in conjunction with the pedal.

My instinct says that is not a ground and that it “should” be a constant power wire(?)

Otherwise something is wrong because power comes out of it when the brakes are applied.

Can someone confirm that it SHOULD be a 12v constant and not a ground?

Or maybe I am wrong, red is constant, blue goes out back, and black goes to the switch?

The wiring is a mess in this truck, and I’d like for the brake controller to work for this trip.

Thanks in advance!!
Kevin. Loyal dodge enthusiast since I could hold a wrench

Put your seat belt on. I'm gonna try something
1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Kelsey Hayes brake controller

Post by dodgeboykim »

Remove it. Tied into hydraulic system of brakes. New controllers are much better. That old controller is a PITA to set up when changing trailers.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

I pulled and junked one like that years ago. Just an extra place for air to enter the system.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

I have one on my Studebaker by choice and like it. I have seen far too many vehicles with destroyed brakes from a failed electronic controller. Give me simple and reliable anytime. Black is power in, blue is out to the trailer and red is for the brake lights. The knob should turn in and out to set the sensitivity to get the right amount of trailer braking. If memory serves, clockwise on the knob decreases trailer braking, ccw increases. Wire it in and use a test light to verify that you are getting power out the blue wire as you move the lever. It should get progressively brighter as you move the lever.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

EGroscup wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 pm
I have one on my Studebaker by choice and like it. I have seen far too many vehicles with destroyed brakes from a failed electronic controller. Give me simple and reliable anytime. Black is power in, blue is out to the trailer and red is for the brake lights. The knob should turn in and out to set the sensitivity to get the right amount of trailer braking. If memory serves, clockwise on the knob decreases trailer braking, ccw increases. Wire it in and use a test light to verify that you are getting power out the blue wire as you move the lever. It should get progressively brighter as you move the lever.

I find that actually very funny as I have been using electronic brake actuators for OH close to 30 years and tow 2 different trailers with electric brakes regularly. Had a controller fail and didn't work at all, But never seen what you describe. Heading out on a 2000 mile trip this week pulling one of my electric brake tandem trailers. My guess is operator error as many do not know how to properly adjust brake controls. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

EGroscup wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 pm
I like the hydraulic type. never seen one fail. only had one myself but worked on many dozens of trucks that did and those were never a problem.