Ballast Resistor question

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Ballast Resistor question

Post by Jims68 »

OK, so this is NOT for a Sweptline, but it IS for a 69 383 Plymouth Roadrunner. Now... my car runs fine, and it has the normal DUAL Points and coil; and most important, I'm not having a problem (knock wood). I just wanted to buy a "spare" ballast resistor for the glove box. Of course, I can also put this in my 68 Sweptline as a spare too.

From what I see there are different Ballast Resistors with different ohms. So... what is the deal? I take it that the Ballast Resistor is either GOOD or BAD and no in between. I can check the one on my car (unplugged) with a multi meter and get a 1 OHM (TONE or Continuity) with my meter. Do I need to worry about the "other" OHM readings when they are being sold as a 1.5 OR 0.8?

This one says 1.5 OHM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-s1210/overview/

This one says 0.8 OHM I think this one may be for a MSD coil??
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8214/overview/

What's the difference?? OH... and don't bother saying for me to change to electronic, or MSD or whatever, it runs FINE the way it is and I'm happy with the way it runs now :salut ! :lol:
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: Ballast Resistor question

Post by my5thmopar »

Correct no good or bad....usually. If the wire is marginal, it can heat up a go open but, this is very rare. Go with the 1.5 ohm. The ones I like are from Autozone Duralast AL795. I haven't had one go bad, so my spare has been used for engine starting, testing etc. It also is the most original looking to me and comes with screws and nuts for the older Mopars. :2cents Craig

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Thanks Craig! Just the answer I was looking for. :salut and one of our local Autozone stores has them in stock too. :Thumbsup
Jim

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

that is the one I use as well. I didnt know about the different ohms.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Kaegi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:11 am
that is the one I use as well. I didnt know about the different ohms.
You can google it... but none of what I read :study (or found) made any sense to me :thinking and that is why I posted my question here :salut .
Jim

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Just noticed... it says on Autozone Ebay Page:

Resistance (Ω) 0.633
Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Purpose is to reduce voltage at coil and points, while running, to extend life of points. Lower ohms will be lower reduction of voltage, thus a hotter spark and shorter point life. All will work, but higher ohm unit will extend life of points.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am
Purpose is to reduce voltage at coil and points, while running, to extend life of points. Lower ohms will be lower reduction of voltage, thus a hotter spark and shorter point life. All will work, but higher ohm unit will extend life of points.
NICE explanation!! Thanks! I did know that the Ballast Resistor was to reduce the VOLTS to the coil which extend the points life, BUT... I DIDN'T know about the difference between HIGH and LOW OHM readings. I wasn't sure if one company was showing a "cold" reading as opposed to a "hot" reading. OR if that even matters? :thinking :lol:
Jim

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

FWIW, first thing I did on my truck was switch to the 'digital' regulator and updated voltage controller, and tossed the dang ballast resistor. Super happy with the more modern parts.

I know there are some folks who need to keep the originality of it. If I had a '69 Roadrunner I might hollow it out to bypass 'behind the scenes', but I just tossed mine in a box to gift to a fellow MoPar enthusiast at some point.

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

my5thmopar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 pm
Correct no good or bad....usually. If the wire is marginal, it can heat up a go open but, this is very rare. Go with the 1.5 ohm. The ones I like are from Autozone Duralast AL795. I haven't had one go bad, so my spare has been used for engine starting, testing etc. It also is the most original looking to me and comes with screws and nuts for the older Mopars. :2cents Craig
Thank you for this. I was trying to figure out which one to buy as well for my 68
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

I have a new digital voltage regulator that I'm not using that is made to be stock appearing. PM me if interested.

- EM

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

The difference in resistance of the ballast resistors is for your coil not your points. Your ballast resistor has to match your coil. All coils have a primary resistance value and your ballast resistor is supposed to be matched to it. Otherwise, as mentioned by Terry, you'll fry your coil and points if the resistor has to low a value, if the resistance value is to high, you'll get a weak spark on the secondary side.
This is one of the biggest problems guy's have burning up coils, points and ECU's on electronic ignitions as well. Nobody matches the ballast resistor to the system ie coil and ECU's. The only reason it shortens point life is because your putting to much voltage to the coil and current across the points. So, if your burning up points, your frying your coil too.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Post by hmaynord »

swptln wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 am
All coils have a primary resistance value and your ballast resistor is supposed to be matched to it.
disputing Mark D is a fool's errand, but here goes. (When he says, "be matched to it," I read that as "have the same value.")

his explanation is not consistent with the following specs from the '65 TSM for all motors:
1. coil primary resistance @ 70-80 deg F (there are 2 possible coils listed):
(a) prestolite = 1.65-1.79 ohms
(b) essex = 1.41-1.55 ohms (N/A to 361 ci).

2. ballast resistor resistance @ 70-80 deg F (there is only 1 possible ballast resistor listed):
0.5-0.6 ohms.
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Its just basic Ohms law.
E=IR
I=E/R
R=E/I
Total circuit resistance of resistors in series = R+R+R.....
Circuit I = E/R+R+R....

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

hmaynord wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:45 pm
swptln wrote:
All coils have a primary resistance value and your ballast resistor is supposed to be matched to it.
disputing Mark D is a fool's errand, but here goes. (When he says, "be matched to it," I read that as "have the same value.")

his explanation is not consistent with the following specs from the '65 TSM for all motors:
1. coil primary resistance @ 70-80 deg F (there are 2 possible coils listed):
(a) prestolite = 1.65-1.79 ohms
(b) essex = 1.41-1.55 ohms (N/A to 361 ci).

2. ballast resistor resistance @ 70-80 deg F (there is only 1 possible ballast resistor listed):
0.5-0.6 ohms.
Yes, but like Terry just explained, there is no way to get a total amperage draw of 3Amps with a 1.79ohm coil and .6ohm resistor. Your going to be over 5Amps......
1.79 + .6 = 2.39ohms. 12V or E / 2.39ohms or R = 5Amps or I.
1.79 + 1.5 = 3.29ohms. 12V / 3.29ohms = 3.6Amps.
A good rule of thumb with coils and ballast resistors is if you have a 1.5ohm primary resistance, run a 1.5ohm resistor.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

And, if the engine is running and the alternator is putting out the needed 14V, the amperage thru the coil is going to be even higher.

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hmaynord »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am
swptln wrote:
Otherwise, as mentioned by Terry, you'll fry your coil and points if the resistor has to low a value, if the resistance value is to high, you'll get a weak spark on the secondary side.
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 pm
And, if the engine is running and the alternator is putting out the needed 14V, the amperage thru the coil is going to be even higher.
First, I thought hotter spark was usually a good thing. So why not start with the lower resistance? If that works and you later develop an ignition problem with the same setup, you've eliminated weak spark as a cause. If that burns the points or fries the coil, then you can go to the higher resistance. Starting with the higher resistance might be solving a problem you don't even have.

Second, the '65 TSM states that the engines are designed to run with BR at 0.5 - 0.6ohms. In other words, given that the engine must be running for the BR to be in the circuit, the '65 TSM is fine with 7.3A running continuously through the coil:
1.41 + 0.5 - 1.91ohms. 14V / 1.91ohms = 7.33A.
Last edited by hmaynord on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
harris

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hmaynord »

[double posted]
harris

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

hmaynord wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 am
, given that the engine must be running for the BR to be in the circuit, the '65 TSM is fine with 7.3A running continuously through the coil: 1.41 + 0.5 - 1.91ohms. 14V / 1.91ohms = 7.33A.
It isn't the DC that fries a coil but the current at peak voltage (~12KV if memory serves) when the input is a square wave made by the points. Watts are what melts insulation materials.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hmaynord »

Wildergarten wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:04 pm
hmaynord wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 am
, given that the engine must be running for the BR to be in the circuit, the '65 TSM is fine with 7.3A running continuously through the coil: 1.41 + 0.5 - 1.91ohms. 14V / 1.91ohms = 7.33A.
It isn't the DC that fries a coil but the current at peak voltage (~12KV if memory serves) when the input is a square wave made by the points. Watts are what melts insulation materials.
OK. the main point (pun intended) was burning the points. So, here's a correction to my summary of the TSM:
'65 TSM is fine with 7.3A running continuously to the points (and the coil): 1.41 + 0.5 - 1.91ohms. 14V / 1.91ohms = 7.33A.

OP does not have burning points. he was asking about general rules for BR. It seems to me that rule 1 always is go with the TSM, which in this case is a lower resistance BR than what swptin's rule of thumb would give. If rule 1 burns points, then you need an exception to rule 1, such as swptin's rule of thumb.

Wildergarten: if input V is 14, coil primary resistance is 1.41, and other variables constant, what would the current at peak voltage be if BR is either 0.5ohms or 1.79ohms?
harris