Ballast Resistor question

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Ballast Resistor question

Post by Wildergarten »

hmaynord wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:14 am
Wildergarten: if input V is 14, coil primary resistance is 1.41, and other variables constant, what would the current at peak voltage be if BR is either 0.5ohms or 1.79ohms?
The best way to get that number is with an oscilloscope.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Well, if you do the math/Ohms Law. The FSM is wrong, there is no way your going to have a 3Amp load, with engine not running. That is a static load, so the math/Ohms Law works I=E/R. The running load is going to be different and the math/Ohms Law won't work, as mentioned in the FSM, the load is going to be a lot less. Your going to have a increase in voltage drop across the points because it's a poor connection, intermittent, arcing, carbon build up, etc. So, even though you may have 13-14 System Volts while running, you are not going to be putting that much voltage to the coil. Running the .5-.6ohm ballast resistor is just going to shorten your coil and points life.
This why point type ignitions were eliminated in 1972-73, it's much more efficient to control a coil with a ECU or magnetic pickup and relay. Will handle more rpms, gives more consistent spark, less maintenance.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

OK.... now first I have to say, I am NOT trying to beat a dead horse with this subject. BUT... I found this page informative and mentions about ballast resistors and how coils work with condensers etc. YES, it says it's for lawn tractors... but pertains to everything. It gives a link on how to check the OHMS resistance on a coil etc. LOOK for the FLASHING IMPORTANT word.

Check it out! :salut

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489