71 D100 intermittent fuel gauge.

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
jaybird88
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin, TX

71 D100 intermittent fuel gauge.

Post by jaybird88 »

I recently had my fuel tank cleaned and installed a new fuel sender. My fuel gauge that had not been working started working again. I needed to pull the gas tank again to have the inside coated and now fuel gauge does not work. I have been having all kinds of grounding problems with my tail lights which now have been fixed by sanding the holes where the screws hold the light lenses and now the lights work. I am wondering if I have lost ground somehow with my fuel sending unit? I had fuel leaking at the fuel sending unit and made a bigger gasket which does not leak anymore. Could I have ungrounded the fuel sender somehow? I did ground the sending wire and noticed the fuel guage moving to full. Not sure if that determines anything. Any help is much appreciated!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 71 D100 intermittent fuel gauge.

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Tank needs to be well grounded to the cab thru the bolts, sender needs to be grounded to the tank thru the retaining ring on the top, cab needs to be grounded to the engine thru the firewall strap. Also, are u sure the float is floating when full?

jaybird88
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin, TX

Re: 71 D100 intermittent fuel gauge.

Post by jaybird88 »

Thank you, the problem was that my brass float had a pinhole and took on gas which prevented it from floating. I replaced the float and all is good!