Source for reverse lenses and 70-71 side marker lenses.

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kearney
State: NE

Source for reverse lenses and 70-71 side marker lenses.

Post by Tony292 »

Seen this on FB a few times and thought I’d post here. Advance auto parts sells the reverse lenses for 5 dollars apiece. And the fit perfectly! I have a set on my 71.

Link:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/key ... ackup+lens

Also, if you need side marker lenses, you can use the ones from 71-74 dodge vans but you have to use a small screwdriver to carefully pry the outer lens from the housing. They are glued but the glue is 45 years old and gives way pretty easily. That being said your prying on 45 year old plastic so go easy and slow. I found a 73 van in my local junkyard and scored 3 side marker lenses! Installed two already and they fit perfectly. Pic is if the lens and the housing it was removed from.
Attachments
0A103DC6-0738-48DE-867C-49678AD57A93.jpeg

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Source for reverse lenses and 70-71 side marker lenses.

Post by Tony292 »

Pic of the vans lenses after separating them from thier housings.
75C53814-9AD2-4565-97A6-F975A64A3402.jpeg
Last edited by Tony292 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Check with Bud Thorp [aka Powerwagon54].

John :idea :2cents

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tony292 »

Pic of van lens in sweptine housing, mounted on my 71 D200. One side of the truck has an original and one has the van lens. You couldn’t tell the difference unless I told you which one was which.
72578143-5C5D-4A08-BCFC-F54BBEEBC1FB.jpeg
Last edited by Tony292 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tony292 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:22 am

I don’t need to check with Thorp, I have verified that these backup and side marker lenses fit perfectly on my 71 D200. Thorp is a seller (not that that’s a bad thing, but he is here for profit I’m simply sharing information that I have validated to be true and that I will not profit from). I’m not selling anything. I paid 5 bucks each for the reverse lenses at advance auto parts and 4 dollars each for the side marker lenses at my local u-pull it yard. People are selling the reverse lenses for 45-50 on eBay!! Why pay more for the same product?

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

Here we go again. The van light and the sweptline light are the same dimensions. BUT the similarity stops there. The van light has no back to it and no way to seal against the housing. The sweptline has a back and uses a gasket to seal against the housing to keep the water out of the light. The van lenses are glued into the housings and after many years of exposure to the elements they break when you try to pry them off. So very simply put, the sweptline light has a removable lens and the van does not.

The reverse light lenses he has pictured are ford mustang lenses as I recall. Do they fit, I don't know and frankly don't care. This is a hobby to me that I have enjoyed for over 48 years. I get great pleasure in locating and offering the parts for these trucks. If you do not have the respect for these trucks as I do then you are probably ok with adapting non sweptline parts onto your truck. So be it. But you should not try to tell people that your parts are the same as original because they are not.

Some of us try to keep our trucks as they were meant to be. To me that is what this hobby is all about. I see no reason to put non sweptline parts on these trucks. Except maybe the dollar bill means more to you then your truck does.
Last edited by powerwagon54 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Tnx Tony. Nice work on the marker lenses. :Thumbsup
Yrs ago I grabbed handfuls of those van markers when they were common as dirt in the yards.

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tony292 »

powerwagon54 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:51 pm
Here we go again. The van light and the sweptline light are the same dimensions. BUT the similarity stops there. The van light has no back to it and no way to seal against the housing. The sweptline has a back and uses a gasket to seal against the housing to keep the water out of the light. The van lenses are glued into the housings and after many years of exposure to the elements they break when you try to pry them off. So very simply put, the sweptline light has a removable lens and the van does not.

The reverse light lenses he has pictured are ford mustang lenses as I recall. Do they fit, I don't know and frankly don't care. This is a hobby to me that I have enjoyed for over 48 years. I get great pleasure in locating and offering the parts for these trucks. If you do not have the respect for these trucks as I do then you are probably ok with adapting non sweptline parts onto your truck. So be it. But you should not try to tell people that your parts are the same as original because they are not.

Some of us try to keep are trucks as they were meant to be. To me that is what this hobby is all about. I see no reason to put non sweptline parts on these trucks. Except maybe the dollar bill means more to you then your truck does.
Nice try at questioning my loyalty to these trucks. There are parts that nobody is reproducing and so yea sometimes we have to look elsewhere. Why would I buy a 45 year old lens from you? When I can use one from a van that the outer colored part looks exactly the same?

Where do you get your perfect lenses from? What manufacturer reproduces exact replicas? Or do you have a hoard of NOS new in the box sitting around? Because I’ve seen some of the trucks and parts you sell and they are all old and banged up. If I were going for a restoration, I would search for all NOS lenses, but that’s not what I’m going for.

There are many members here that chop thier trucks up putting crown Vic suspensions into them and I don’t remember you ever bitching about them adding non original parts? How about new radial tires and modern rims? Again... you never complain about those guys adding “non original parts”. Maybe I missed your responses in those threads... no you only get like this when someone posts something that is a part for less that you wish to sell for more. It’s all that you think about. You don’t care about the originality whatsoever. So for you it’s more about this being a business than being loyal to the trucks. How many hundreds of swpetlines have you scrapped in those 48 years? I’ve scrapped none, and I’m saving one!!!

And since you’re so dead set on only using original parts, then maybe you’ll want to remove the clear rear lenses from your site:

https://www.61-71dodgesweptlineparts.co ... clear-new/

Again you’re wrong. I’ve checked the van lenses and they are a perfect fit as are the reverse lenses. I’ve seen the mustang ones you’re talking about, they have FomoCo stamped into them, these do not and they fit perfect. In fact I posted pictures of both lenses installed in a sweptline.
Last edited by Tony292 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tony292 »

This is what the mustang lens looks like. It says Ford on it and isnt exactly the same. Other mustang lenses are cone shaped and not flat and still others say FoMoCo on them. Mine from advance auto do not.

6D2189E1-A507-41B7-AA67-3BFFDB7794C6.jpeg

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Tony292 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 am
Hobcobble wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:22 am

I don’t need to check with Thorp,
Hey.... Great, Tony :salut I was just trying to be of help.... nothing more.....

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The part number for those reverse lenses is the same as the Goodmark 64-68 Mustang lenses. Being aftermarket is why they don't have the logo. It's good to know they fit, but my reverse lights have been welded over. :banghead

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Thanks guys. Ordered 2 today. $9.10 shipped to my door. :Thumbsup Craig

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Several NOS marker light assemblies and lenses on eBay right now you will of course pay for them.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?