70 rear lighting

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Dimas/CA

70 rear lighting

Post by DicksDodge »

I have a 70 Power Wagon. Having issues with the rear lights. I have four wires going to the stop/turn/tail. I think something may be crossed up somewhere. The yellow lead works for both the left blinker and the stop light. Is this normal? I have Yellow, Brown, Black, and Dark Green. What goes to what?
Thanks,
1970 W200 Camper Special 383/4sp.
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab LB Cummins

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 70 rear lighting

Post by MadMC63 »

You probably have a ground problem. When my 71 tail lights went berserk it was because the ground straps between the bed and cab were gone. Battery to engine, engine to cab and cab to bed. Each taillight housing to the body through mounting screws. Worth checking anyway.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

Thanks for that, but I don't think it's the ground. I have new grounding straps and I can get the lights to work... kind of. I tried tying both into the yellow wire only to find out that I ended up with flashers when I hit the left signal so I know those are grounded.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

DicksDodge wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:22 pm
I have a 70 Power Wagon. Having issues with the rear lights. I have four wires going to the stop/turn/tail. I think something may be crossed up somewhere. The yellow lead works for both the left blinker and the stop light. Is this normal? I have Yellow, Brown, Black, and Dark Green. What goes to what?
Thanks,

yellow left turn/stop
brown tail lights
black reverse lights
dark green right turn/stop

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

DicksDodge wrote:
The yellow lead works for both the left blinker and the stop light. Is this normal?
Yes, the brake lights and turn signals are one and the same. When you step on the brake, both sides light up. Keep your foot on the brake, activate the signal switch and one of the "brake" lights will start blinking. Thus, you only need one wire to each side for the brake and sig. The brown wire is connected to both sides to illuminate the tail lights.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Some nice person waved me down yesterday morning and said "you got no lights !!"

No reverse, side marker, tail, nothing he was right on . Usually a ground issue.

Time for me to take a look, and let us know what you find Dick. :Thumbsup
Andy

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Mine was a big braded ground strap from the frame to the bed that came off , drivers side. This cab had HD wiring harness for over head cab lights so not sure if yours will be the same.Easy fix.
Might help with your issue I hope
Andy

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I had issues with my tailights on my '68. Same LIGHT but not sure of the wire colors. Anyway, Make sure that the SOCKET is holding fast to the tail light housing. Mine were loose giving it a BAD ground, so I soldered my socket to the housing. You may want to check that too. Good Luck! :salut
Attachments
446P7240096.JPG
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Post by Dale »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 pm
DicksDodge wrote:
The yellow lead works for both the left blinker and the stop light. Is this normal?
Yes, the brake lights and turn signals are one and the same. When you step on the brake, both sides light up. Keep your foot on the brake, activate the signal switch and one of the "brake" lights will start blinking. Thus, you only need one wire to each side for the brake and sig. The brown wire is connected to both sides to illuminate the tail lights.
Great thread so far! So, does one need to keep his foot on the brake to activate a turn signal, instead of 100 feet before a turn is made? Just curious as to how they should be working. I've got much to do with my '71 W100, lol!
1971 Dodge W100

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Post by Dale »

Dale wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 am
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 pm
DicksDodge wrote:
Great thread so far! So, does one need to keep his foot on the brake to activate a turn signal, instead of 100 feet before a turn is made without activating the brake? Just curious as to how they should be working. I've got much to do with my '71 W100, lol!
1971 Dodge W100

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Dale wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 am

Great thread so far! So, does one need to keep his foot on the brake to activate a turn signal, instead of 100 feet before a turn is made? Just curious as to how they should be working. I've got much to do with my '71 W100, lol!
No, just use the signals and brakes like you would on any new car. You don't have to hold foot on brake to make signal work or vice versa. IF you hold your foot on the brake and then decide to put signal on... the turn signal will start to flash the bulb.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

Man, I tend to take long breaks from this place....and from working on the truck. I finally gave up troubleshooting the electrical issues and took it to a local mechanic I trust. He traced it down to the blinker assembly. Something is shorting out in there. Right now, my son and I are hitting it hard, ordered all new door rubber and a blinker switch. Hopefully it fixes the issue and, on the other side, stops leaking all of the time.