Repairing My Fuel Sending Unit

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
DodgeBeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Charlotte
State: NC

Repairing My Fuel Sending Unit

Post by DodgeBeast »

As I am working on my late Grandfather's Power Wagon, I am sorting out the various bugs from sitting for 17 years. I did drive it through my neighborhood for the first time a couple of days ago. I noticed the fuel sending unit wasn't working. I began by removing it from the fuel tank. I first took emery cloth and began remove the rust and scale from the outside. I used my Dremel with a round wire wheel to further clean the exterior of the unit. The brass float had a hole in it so I used a plastic one I had from a different project. The I straightened the 3 tabs that enclosed the arm and contacts and pulled that apart. I used 0000 steel wool on the thin wires to gently remove the tarnish. I used the wire wheel on the brass tab on the swing arm and lightly touched and removed the tarnish and corrosion from it. I supported it with my finger from below to keep it from bending out of shape. I checked it with a multimeter and it showed to be working a variable resistance when I moved the arm. I then reassembled the unit and placed it back into the fuel tank and turned the key to the on position and my fuel gauge is now working as it should.
You can click on the link to view my photo bucket to see the before and after pictures. When I figure out how to size my pictures I will start posting the pictures instead of a link.

http://s325.photobucket.com/user/DodgeB ... t=2&page=1

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Repairing My Fuel Sending Unit

Post by 712edf »

I should do that to the one on my W600.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

good job. I just cleaned one up for mine too. the floats are the same as 60s mustang. about 6 bucks online. made by Francis drake I think

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

Ive also had issues with mine since I got it. When tank was full gauge would read just above half. After some time the gauge quit working. I just got a float for the mustangs and now it reads half tank when it is full. The old float had a rubber ring around it. Even when I put it on new float it is still not correct.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The rubber ring is so it won't clang on the bottom or top of the tank when close to empty or full.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

sledgehammer wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:01 pm
Ive also had issues with mine since I got it. When tank was full gauge would read just above half. After some time the gauge quit working. I just got a float for the mustangs and now it reads half tank when it is full. The old float had a rubber ring around it. Even when I put it on new float it is still not correct.
If it is an aftermarket sender, that is the best you will get out of it. They are junk.

Replacing a float is one thing, but certainly is nowhere near rebuilding a sender.

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

I hear what you mean by clanging when full. I’ll put the rubber ring back on it next time I pull it back out and try to figure a way to fix it. Thanks.