Brake light circuit

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Brake light circuit

Post by Drummerdad »

I am rewiring my sons 67 d100, and I am almost done. I have headlights, tail lights, turn signals, the engine running, gauges etc...I am having trouble with the brake lights. I am using a Ron Francis kit, and told them I would be using the original column, because I have one in the parts truck, and plan on doing that...in the future. Right now the truck has one of those cheap, chrome plated turn signal stalks out of JC whitney. And I cant make the rear brake lights work. There is only one turn signal feed from the panel. The turn stalk is supposed to do the switching. I read another post that said the factory turn stalk makes the stop lights work properly. I have tried to use a multi meter on the turn stalk, but it has been modified, and Im sure it doesnt work properly, much less the way the factory one is supposed to.

Can somone explain how this is supposed to work, to allow the brake lights to work, and allow the signal to work also? If the turn signal is on, the opposite side should go solid, and the chosen side should blink. Also with the 4 ways, the fronts should blink, and the rears go solid when the brake is pushed. Is this correct?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Brake light circuit

Post by 712edf »

I can't add much because I am not certain, but I do believe the brake lights go through the turn signal switch. Also in regards to one of your latter questions, I seem to recall on older vehicles that if you had the 4-ways hazards On & pressed the brake pedal ALL FOUR corners would go solid. But this may not pertain to your year.

I do know for certain on a 1967 Chrysler car that the front park lamps would go OFF when the headlights were turned ON.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

So I called and talked to Ron Francis' tech department, and they confirmed the blinker mechanism is supposed to do the brake/blinker split function. My cheap turn signal stalk was modified, and doesnt do that, so I guess Im getting the tilt column I was going to get early. Ill just replace the column, which I was going to do anyway, and that should fix it. My only other option was to add a seperate brake light circuit, and I just didnt want to do that. Almost every aftermarket tilt column Ive looked at is GM style, so I might have to get a wiring "sub" kit and schematic from them, but it shouldnt be bad. Im more concerned about getting the right length column, and getting it installed properly. The suckiest part is, I wont be able to use the column and steering wheel in my parts truck, which is an original, and looks to be in good condition. I just dont think it can be adapted to work with power steering, due to the location of the steering box.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Drummerdad wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:22 am
So I called and talked to Ron Francis' tech department, and they confirmed the blinker mechanism is supposed to do the brake/blinker split function. My cheap turn signal stalk was modified, and doesnt do that, so I guess Im getting the tilt column I was going to get early. Ill just replace the column, which I was going to do anyway, and that should fix it. My only other option was to add a seperate brake light circuit, and I just didnt want to do that. Almost every aftermarket tilt column Ive looked at is GM style, so I might have to get a wiring "sub" kit and schematic from them, but it shouldnt be bad. Im more concerned about getting the right length column, and getting it installed properly. The suckiest part is, I wont be able to use the column and steering wheel in my parts truck, which is an original, and looks to be in good condition. I just dont think it can be adapted to work with power steering, due to the location of the steering box.

You can use your stock steering column with power steering. Myself and others have used stock column. Cut off and change bottom rag joint as needed.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

I was worried that using it at the angle needed for power steering would tilt it too far and put the steering wheel in my lap. So I bought an aftermarket tilt column anyway. The column on the truck now is horrible anyway, and the steering shaft is very sketchy. I bought all new stuff, so Ill be swapping that out soon.

Thank you all for the input. I guess Ill be asking questions about mounting a tilt column next. :lol:

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

Drummerdad, attached is a sketch of my 70 wiring with turn signal, brake and flasher circuit, maybe it'll help with your new wiring.
70 dodge turn signal wiring.jpg

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

To add to sketch above for trouble shooting I get continuity between the following wires,

normal state : white to yellow LR brake
white to green RR brake
yellow to green LR/ RR brake

Left turn active: red to yellow LR turn
red to yellow w/ blk stripe LF turn
yellow to yellow w/ blk stripe LR/LF
white to green RR brake light

Right turn active: red to green RR turn
red to light green RF turn
green to light green RR/RF
white to yellow LR brake light