Fuel and Temp gauges, read other threads and seeing a different problem

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
TWC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St. Cloud
State: FL

Fuel and Temp gauges, read other threads and seeing a different problem

Post by TWC »

I've read through several threads on getting Fuel and Temp gauges working. Both of mine are bottomed out, stuck on E and C respectively. With the ignition switch on I have 12V at the red wire on the fuel gauge and the pulsing up to 8V on both other studs of the fuel gauge. When the temp gauge is connected the pulsing is present on both studs there as well. I ran a ground wire from the battery to one ear of the gauge cluster so I'm assuming the gauges are grounded but I've got to be missing something. If the sending unit sides should be grounds why would I be getting the pulsing voltage there?

This is a '63 Crew Cab.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Fuel and Temp gauges, read other threads and seeing a different problem

Post by Hobcobble »

TWC wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:13 pm
I've read through several threads on getting Fuel and Temp gauges working. Both of mine are bottomed out, stuck on E and C respectively. With the ignition switch on I have 12V at the red wire on the fuel gauge and the pulsing up to 8V on both other studs of the fuel gauge. When the temp gauge is connected the pulsing is present on both studs there as well. I ran a ground wire from the battery to one ear of the gauge cluster so I'm assuming the gauges are grounded but I've got to be missing something. If the sending unit sides should be grounds why would I be getting the pulsing voltage there?

This is a '63 Crew Cab.
Sounds like a possible issue with the voltage limiter, What year is your truck?
You should have 5V on the gauges, if memory serves. :2cents :thinking
John

TWC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TWC »

The truck is a '63. What I read is that the voltage pulses to mimic a 5V power supply. Maybe I'm misunderstanding that but should the sending unit side of either gauge have any voltage at all on them?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The sending unit side of the gauge will read the same voltage as the other side IF there is no sending unit connected.

TWC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TWC »

That's good to know. I grounded the sender side and got it to peg Full and there is still voltage on the pin. I'm seeing the fuel needle move now and it's probably close to accurate so I think everything is right there as long as having voltage on the sender side is normal. I'll have to bring the truck up to operating temperature to see if the temp gauge is working though. The difference was running a new ground wire through the bulkhead connector to the battery and ripping the existing ground out.

TWC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TWC »

One last note on getting the gauges to work properly and I'm not sure why it had to be done but it worked. With the housing grounded and the sending unit sides attached I grounded the nut at the bottom of each sending unit side until the gauges pegged. After that they both work normally.