another hor problem

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
olbill
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucson
State: AZ

another hor problem

Post by olbill »

ok so i'm working on a 63 d 100 sweptline, 6 cyl, 4spd, 2 wd. i installed a new painless harness and all is working fine....but the horn. i didn't have any horn at all so i am using a cheap aftermarket until i can get to the junk yard. i want to use the original steering center wheel buttonbut not sure how to go about it. i think i have a complete button set up. there is a wire tab from a ring coming thru the back side of the steering wheel which connects to the horn switch using a pale green wire. the underside ring seems to make contact with what i believe is called a roller? coming from the roller is a bare copper wire. this wire is in bad shape and i can't see where it may have connected.

the new horn has a plus and a minus connection.
am i missing something? should that roller go to ground? if so, how should the horn connect to the switch? the painless harness has a wire to the horn which goes to the fuse box which has a wire that should go to the horn...right? so how does it connect?

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, this is a pretty new thing for me so i'm learning as i go.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: another hor problem

Post by MadMC63 »

If you ground the horn at the colume does it work?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

DavidPope
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eston, Sask, Canada
State: Foreign

Post by DavidPope »

The horn uses a horn relay so the horn wire at the button gets grounded when you press the horn.

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Post by hmaynord »

my ron francis kit probably same as yours on this: horn relay built in to the fuse panel.
I have the existing horn. I had to get the ron francis guy to talk me through this.
existing wire from button goes out of the steering column (with the other wires) to a new butt connector.
other side of butt connector is new kit wire that goes to the fuse panel.
second wire goes from another location on the fuse panel to one of the terminals on horn.
run a new wire from the other terminal on horn to ground.
if the horn sounds funny, reverse the wires.
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71

olbill
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucson
State: AZ

Re: another horn problem

Post by olbill »

ok sorry, i'm lost. here is the crux of the problem. i have a single wire from the horn button that looks like it goes to the roller switch which is ground. if that is correct, than how will the signal go from the switch to the horn? should there be 2 wires at the button? ground and something, anything, connecting the switch to the horn or vice versa?

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Post by hmaynord »

technically, the signal never goes from the switch to the horn; instead, it goes from the switch to the relay (in the fuse panel). that is your single wire from the horn button.

when you press the horn button, which grounds it, the signal goes to the relay.

when the relay receives the signal, it sends power to the horn, via one wire. that is what I call the "second wire goes from another location on the fuse panel to one of the terminals on horn."

for the horn to work, it needs a ground. that is what I mean by "run a new wire from the other terminal on horn to ground."
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71