Heater/AC Blower Intermittent

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Heater/AC Blower Intermittent

Post by my5thmopar »

The other day I took the 70 D200 out and was using the AC. I usually use medium speed and Max AC. I made a 20-30 minute trip, stopped, came back out 15 minutes later and blower didn't work. I could hear and feel it turning slowly. It has done this twice now. I turned it off, tried again later that day, then today and it was working normally. Could it be the resistor or is the motor on its way out?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Heater/AC Blower Intermittent

Post by 712edf »

Running the blower at full speed is easier (less heat) on the resistor. Running the fan on low speed increases heat. Heat is hard on electrical components. Would it be feasible to take the blower out & look it over? See if it spins freely or drags? Check wiring for corrosion or brittleness. Check all connections too.
Blowers & headlamps draw more current than about anything else on a stock vehicle of this vintage.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

712edf wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:29 pm
Running the blower at full speed is easier (less heat) on the resistor. Running the fan on low speed increases heat. Heat is hard on electrical components. Would it be feasible to take the blower out & look it over? See if it spins freely or drags? Check wiring for corrosion or brittleness. Check all connections too.
Blowers & headlamps draw more current than about anything else on a stock vehicle of this vintage.

Bucky
I don't remember if the blower can be removed from the heater assembly. I'll have to find my FSM and take a look. I had the assembly out a couple years ago changing the heater core and cleaning the mouse house out. I can take the glove box out and do some checks. I wasn't sure what happens if the resistor is bad but, I seem to recall that only high works when it is bad. Thanks Craig

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Well wouldn’t you know it would be the hottest day of the year. Went to parts store and put a quart of oil in. Came back out and fan dead. Tried hours later and nothing. At least I’ll have something to trouble shoot and fix.