Mopar Electronic Ignition Kit for 318 Poly (1961 D100)

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
rlepore2002
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Atascadero
State: CA

Mopar Electronic Ignition Kit for 318 Poly (1961 D100)

Post by rlepore2002 »

I have a 1961 D100 with 318 poly, standard transmission, and original distribution with points. I purchased a Mopar Electronic Ignition Kit from Mancini Racing (http://www.manciniracing.com/) a couple year ago based on the discussion with them it would work for a 318 poly (A engine). I am just getting around to doing the install (life with young kids) and running into a few potential issues/concerns and could use the forums help. Questions concerns below:

1. I have read conflicting information saying this Mopar kits will and will not work on the 318 poly what is the answer?
2. The shaft bottom between the old and new are slightly different (see attached), but total shaft length and size of the end of the shaft is the same.
3. I marked the location of the existing rotor and it points toward the firewall, however when I insert the new distributor the rotor points 45 degrees to the left. When I look at both distributors on the bench the bottom shaft and rotor origination are different. Did I get provided with the wrong distributor?
4. When I tried to check timing with the old distributor it was way off and the truck has never run great.
5. I am trying to figure out if I could sell the new distributor since it has never been used and go with the pertronix option.

If the Mopar kit will work the next steps I am thinking of taking would include the following: Put in old distributor, make location of #1 cyl on cap, find TDC of #1 cyl, and confirm that the existing distributor is pointed toward #1 cyl on cap. From there I would think I could put in the new distributor and rotate the cap accordingly.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Attachments
New Dist Rotor.JPG
Old Dist Rotor.JPG
New Dist Shaft.JPG
Old Dist Shaft.JPG

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Mopar Electronic Ignition Kit for 318 Poly (1961 D100)

Post by 712edf »

From what I have always been told, YES a distributor for a LA318 will work in a Poly 318.

Ignore any differences between the two distributors regarding shaft slot orientation with the rotor. What you must do is start from scratch upon installation. (A) Find #1 cylinder TDC compression stroke. (B) Install new distributor. (C) Install cap, noting where the rotor is pointing. (D) Install plug wires in proper order with #1 being at the cap terminal that the rotor is point towards. (E) Install the other components that came the kit, per instructions. Once you get the engine running, set the timing.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I've installed the MoPar Electronic Ignition kit in two of my
Sweptlines that have the A318. No issues. They work perfect.
John :Thumbsup

jdavis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno
State: NV

Post by jdavis »

Had one in my 66 powerwagon when purchased. Also have one in my 65 Barracuda Formula "S" . Once installed I never looked back. Just change your plugs once a year and check your timing maybe once or twice a year and your done.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

While you re there, put a coil on that can handle a constant 12 volts and bypass the ballast resistor. I have found that engines idle better with a hotter spark. Jmo.

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Sounds like the distributor wasn't clocked right anyway. Good luck!
Doug

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

in the pic of the old dist your rotor is pointing at number 6 (or 180 out). stock location of plug wires one is in the front. if you want the new dist to point in the same place as old I think you could rotate the drive gear but that requires pulling intake or might be able to do with big magnet or long needle nose