Fuel and coolant guage connected?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Fuel and coolant guage connected?

Post by my5thmopar »

70 D200 with 383. My fuel gauge and coolant both seem low. Test with grouund and getting full sweep. What did I miss. The wiring diagram is a little hard to read. Maybe this is a common issue. Any suggestions. Thanks Craig

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: Fuel and coolant guage connected?

Post by my5thmopar »

OK. I found more info in my other manual. It doesn't say anything about being low. If the gauges are pegged, then it says the voltage regulator in the fuel gauge. I read some posts about a bad ground and read the thread about making a external regulator. Any suggestions. Thanks Craig

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

The gauges share a common power source "aka hot side of the circuit", and that voltage reducer/regulator is included in that part of the equation.

Each gauge has it's own ground part of the circuit, sourced from sending units. More continuity on the ground side = more full/hot on those respective gauges. Full ground = pegged gauges.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

12V to the voltage limiter and a pulsating 5V out of the limiter to the gauges. As Bucky said all gauges ground through the sending units. I used the RTE voltage limiter on mine with great success. Its a little pricey compared to other alternatives but it does provide circuit protection that the others don't plus it allows a little more voltage at startup for fast gauge response like OEM.
http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_limiter
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

Here is what I did in my Fury when it went out...Works great and no issues. If you can solder you can do this. It is a little different in the trucks but the concept is the same.
http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-i ... tor64.html
My Rides:
1965 D200 318 Poly Long Bed 2wd
1968 Plymouth Fury III
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD

rjschaff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Knoxville
State: MD

Post by rjschaff »

My 71 D300 has the fuel/temp gauge problem. So I decided the RTE limiter was the way to go. Their listing did not list a 71 D300, but listed a 70 D200 --gotta be right, no? I ordered a IVR R4, but when it arrived, I found out it was for a circuit board install, which my truck does not have. So apparently, I should have ordered the IVR3. HOWEVER, the instructions for the IVR3 are basically the same s for IVR4--locate the original limiter on the back of the instrument panel , remove and replace with the RTE unit. Simple enough, but do not have such a device on my truck -- at least that I can ID. FYI the wiring in my truck appears to be factory original, as best I can determine. There are 4 "spade" connectors in a row on the back of the amp meter?? Use? I eamiled RTE Monday am, but as of this time, no response. Any suggestions? thanks RJ

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

If you go back to they're site they have instructions for how to install it in non circuit board situations. Earlier cars were very similar to our trucks. I use their product and have been very satisfied with it.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?