Battery possibily over charging

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
martin1953
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: carlisle
State: PA

Battery possibily over charging

Post by martin1953 »

After reassembly of 66 W300 318 I have noticed that the battery seems to be pushing out acid from the vent holes. I have not checked voltages at the battery yet but was wondering where to start first. On initial start up each time--ammeter pegs in the charge position and after 15 sec. or so drops back. (possible anternator or voltage regulator issues)??

Thanks for any help

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Battery possibily over charging

Post by dodgeboykim »

martin1953 wrote:After reassembly of 66 W300 318 I have noticed that the battery seems to be pushing out acid from the vent holes. I have not checked voltages at the battery yet but was wondering where to start first. On initial start up each time--ammeter pegs in the charge position and after 15 sec. or so drops back. (possible anternator or voltage regulator issues)??

Thanks for any help
Start by checking every connection and ground from Alternator into dash and back out to battery. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

You can also check the battery. It is possible that "MAYBE" one of the cells could be shorting out and "MAYBE" the alternator is trying to make up for the battery loss. It is just a thought... :thinking
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

martin1953 wrote:.....On initial start up each time--ammeter pegs in the charge position and after 15 sec. or so drops back......
Drops back to center? If so, that's totally normal.
If the ammeter stays at center, or a needle width or so above, the battery is not over charging.

martin1953
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: carlisle
State: PA

Post by martin1953 »

Found the problem to be bad grounding (engine block to voltage reg.) We sometimes tend to over look the simpler things.

Thanks to all who responded.

Martin