Ammeter pegged 68 D-200

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
realgone58
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ocala
State: FL

Ammeter pegged 68 D-200

Post by realgone58 »

I've done a new battery, alternator, voltage regulator and ballast. All is hooked up correct according to the wiring schematic. Drove for about a thousand miles with no problems, then just yesterday, under throttle, started making a light whistle under the hood and immidiately pegged the ammeter above charge, as high as it could possibly go. I pulled over right away, at idle it came down to normal (just above center line), got out and opened the hood, felt for hot wires, didn't find any, nor any burning smell, got back in the truck, hit gas, way above charge again, then all of a sudden the light whistle stopped and the ammeter quickly bounced back to normal. Several more miles with no problem, then did it again for a few minutes. Been doing it on and off again today. I must have something going bad. Any ideas? Also can't get brake lights to work, but that's a thread for another time. Lol.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Ammeter pegged 68 D-200

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Bad regulator.

realgone58
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ocala
State: FL

Post by realgone58 »

Forgot to mention this is the second regulator I've put on. First one, just stopped charging. What would keep blowing the regulator?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Definitely sounds like a bad regulator. That whine is a dead giveaway. A fully energized field/ max charge.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

realgone58 wrote:What would keep blowing the regulator?
Made in china

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Agreed. Go with NOS Chrysler or repop Chrysler at least

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I watched a video on YouTube on how to test your voltage regulator. The guy had one known bad one and three new ones. Two of the three new ones were bad out of the box. Not good odds.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

MadMC63 wrote:I watched a video on YouTube on how to test your voltage regulator. The guy had one known bad one and three new ones. Two of the three new ones were bad out of the box. Not good odds.

Guess it pays to collect good parts over the last 40 years for my trucks. Never have I had to buy new replacement regulators, Ignition modules or alternators,Starters etc. :clap :clap
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

Agreed Kim, that is why I save all the electrical including switches. The aftermarket is junk.