Neutral switch wiring

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
shaker340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SMITHS FALLS ON
State: Foreign

Neutral switch wiring

Post by shaker340 »

I am using a hotrod wiring kit in the 64 D100. I have the neutral wire from trans up to eng harness. I don't have the mating connector that would be part of the eng harness. My question is how to wire the neutral switch when I don't have back up lights. The Hot rod wiring kit supplies a power wire, but nothing else for neutral switch. How should I wire the other two wires?
Attachments
Neutral reduced.jpg

Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Germany
State: Foreign

Re: Neutral switch wiring

Post by 6969 »

Hard to say, i don't know the hot rod wiring set.

But usually, the NSS is wired as follows:

ignition-start position (orange or yellow?) is wired from starter switch to starter relay. Ground side of the starter relay is wired to NSS. NSS provides ground to the starter relay only, if gear is in N or P.

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

Re: Neutral switch wiring

Post by MrMopar »

Typically the wire from the transmission goes to the starter relay, it is the ground side, the power to the relay comes from the key. So the starter relay has two open points in the circuit that need to be closed to complete the circuit.

When you put the transmission in either park or neutral it grounds the terminal, when you turn the key it connects power to the circuit and the coil in the starter relay closes the starter switch.

The other two wires for the backup light are only for the backup light, this is a pass through switch. The power comes from the light switch or the fuse block depending on the year then goes to the switch. When you put the transmissin in reverse it closes the switch passing power back the other wire and to the backup lights.

Once you identify the neutral safety on the harness just connect the one wire from the transmission to that terminal, you can just use a 1/4 slip fit terminal on the one lead, no need for the special connector or the other two terminals.

Alan
Alan Erland
1967 Plymouth Barracuda
1969 Dodge Polara CHP
1969 Dodge Polara
1970 Dodge Camper Special
www.MrMopar.com