Ghost in the machine?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
TheMopars
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Burbank
State: CA

Ghost in the machine?

Post by TheMopars »

So I'll try to keep this short.....

Doing some work on the truck last week. I replaced all the under dash vent tubes, got both vents cleaned up, cables working
and then went to fix a loose bulb on the left side of the gauges as well as the high beam indicator.

I snap the bulb into place, replace the high beam bulb and button it up. Go to take the truck for a test spin and I notice
my signals no longer work. Get back to my house to check it out and notice not only are my signals out but the rear running
lights, brake lights, dash lights, parking lights and cab lights all aren't working. But the headlights still work as does the high
beam indicator. wtf??

A couple days later I get some time with the truck. I pull the gauges again, make sure I didn't unplug anything, check the firewall
plugs, check all the fuses ( yes a 64' with a fuse block, who knew?) make sure all the bulbs are in correctly etc... just an all around
idiot check. Nothing.

So last night I had to move the truck for street cleaning. As I'm backing it into a space I realize I see my brake lights working. Start
checking the rest and the rear tail lights, parking lights, cab light, dash lights all working again BUT still no signals. Strange.

So although I'm happy most everything is back I'd like to get the signals working again (and would love to know what happened too).
Any thoughts? Maybe the signal flasher? I'm stumped.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Ghost in the machine?

Post by Conrad »

On my Scamp project, the only way I was able to get rid of gremlins like this was to pull every electrical connection including grounds, and after cleaning add dielectric grease. My other lesson learned was to avoid the repop turn signal switches and buy NOS or if not available good (and tested) used.

TheMopars
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TheMopars »

Conrad wrote:On my Scamp project, the only way I was able to get rid of gremlins like this was to pull every electrical connection including grounds, and after cleaning add dielectric grease. My other lesson learned was to avoid the repop turn signal switches and buy NOS or if not available good (and tested) used.
Good advice, thanks.

I work in Austin every once in while. Great town, incredible food, but man it's HOT/HUMID in the summer.

TheMopars
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TheMopars »

Well I made it by Napa today and picked up a new signal flasher.... bingo, they work again. Everything works now plus now the high beam
indicator lamp works. Just wish I could confirm this caused the original issue. I've taken it out about 4-5 times now and all so far so good.
Finally have every original lamp/light functioning again. Up next the gauges, suspension, rubber trim, rear brakes..... etc lol.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

Hurray for Easy Fixes! :clap

TheMopars
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TheMopars »

May have spoke to soon. Front and rear directionals work fine...

But now brake lights, rear running lights and front parking lights (middle setting on light switch)
and interior light now not working. So everything working before is now not working and vise versa.
Grrrrr. I'll have to look at schematic and see if I can figure out what is common to all. I'm thinking it
still may have something to do with the new thermal flasher switch. Back under the dash I go.....

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

As it turns out... my directionals started flaking out... :lol: so I've started pulling, inspecting, greasing, reattaching... the fuse box has loose connectors, so I will have to plan on pulling the fuse box to refurbish it.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Conrad wrote:As it turns out... my directionals started flaking out... :lol: so I've started pulling, inspecting, greasing, reattaching... the fuse box has loose connectors, so I will have to plan on pulling the fuse box to refurbish it.
Your turn signal switch might be in trouble.

John :2cents

TheMopars
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TheMopars »

Well, I think I finally have this licked.

I printed out the wiring schematic/signal schematic (I found on this site) and highlighted wires where I was having issues. I
looked for common ground ( hahaha). I pulled the headlamp switch and cleaned the contacts, nothing still the same. I pulled
the fuse box, cleaned all the contacts and wiring, remounted and bingo! everything works again. It's been a week now of driving
daily and all is well. Today I cleaned all the grounds on the license plate lamp and got that one working, finally every bulb on
the truck works! Thank god the electrical is simple on this old truck, I might have a shot figuring it all out, eventually.

Next up, working gauges and cigar lighter, I want a usb charger in the truck!