My 61 Ute, Lots Of Problems!

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Modesto
State: CA

My 61 Ute, Lots Of Problems!

Post by mousecat »

Been going at it pretty hard the last few days, have even gotten a few things accomplished! Got the cab light working, and even found the rat chewed wire that goes to the fuel gauge. After fixing that I felt great! The guard still works! Great feeling! Then started working on the tail lights, that's going to take some time. I have no idea what "someone" did? Looks like the main wiring stopped working, so somebody ran some strange wires to the back in order try and fix it? So I'm going to try and fix it the correct way! We shall see. The biggest problem now seems to be when I turn on the headlights, everything shuts down? I have tail lights in the front, but when I pull the switch again to turn on the headlights, I lost all power? The fuse is still intact so I have no idea what happened? Thinking there is a bad ground somewhere but I'm not real good with the wires, especially since it seems like they are all the same color! Brown and brown, guess there's to much dirt?? Anyways. Hope you all have a great Christmas!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: My 61 Ute, Lots Of Problems!

Post by Hobcobble »

http://www.sweptline.com/tech/61wire.jpg

Just in case there wasn't a Christmas wiring miracle... :lol:

If you don't own one yet... get yourself a decent multi-meter too.
John :Thumbsup

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

Thanks John,

I have the diagram, however it seems that it might not be completely accurate? But then again there's also the possibility that someone really messed up some serious stuff!!

According to the diagram there are 4 wires coming out of the high beam switch, well the red wire that comes out of it was going out the floor board and to the back of the truck? WTH?
No idea why the previous owner(s) would have done that? Now I have to figure out where it was supposed to go and fix the problem!
That very well could explain why the power goes out to EVERYTHING when I turn out the headlights?

Then I just need to figure out how to get power back to the tail lights!!

I've got a real nice Fluke muti meter, once I figure out what all the buttons and switches do, I'll be set!!

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

mousecat wrote:Thanks John,

I have the diagram, however it seems that it might not be completely accurate?
Take a look at this supplement to your truck, it has the turn signal wiring

http://www.sweptline.com/tech/6165_signals.jpg

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

Ok folks, next question! I crawled up under the truck, found my problem with the tail lights.
The cross member in the rear, where the shocks mount was basically destroyed! The rivets were blown out and the cross member was bouncing for god knows how long. That of course was bouncing up and down on the wires that go to the rear tail lights and shorted two of the three wires out and dang near melted the third. After 3 days of working on it, I finally got it all back together and back up under the truck. I can not, however seem to figure out the proper way to hook up the rear lights? Or maybe it's the fact that the right side blinker quit working? Not real sure?

Here's my new question: With the parking lights on, the front maker lights work, but when the headlights are turned on, are the front markers supposed to go off? I assume they are as I've seen that on some models the from marker lenses are clear, however on my truck there are orange lenses. Are they supposed to be white, or clear? And are they supposed to go off when the headlights are on?

Thanks for your help folks!!!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

On earlier Sweptlines, the running lights switch off when the headlights
are turned on. For a '61, the original front signal lenses would be clear.
John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

John, every 4 headlight truck Ive ever seen has amber lenses on the front. Is 61 a 1 yr only clear?

Amber on the 61 showcase truck here:
http://www.dodgesweptline.org/phorum/list.php?2

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Terry,
As I understand, '61 is a one year only for the clear front signal lenses. :study :Thumbsup
John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Mousecat's truck has amber, my 61 has amber, Norm's site's truck has amber, photo I have of a 61 D400 has amber and numerous 61's in the registry have amber. Maybe both were used? Hard to believe that so many would have been changed to amber.
And many here also:
https://www.google.com/search?q=1961+do ... IGQ#imgrc=_

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

I'm almost positive that mine was changed at some point. The amber lenses on my truck are most certainly not original to the truck. There are extra holes drilled into the bezels in order to accommodate the amber lenses. I can see the 2 stock holes that would have been in the truck to begin with, and the 3 holes someone butchered into the metal.
I think I'll head outside and play around a bit with the truck. It's in the garage but the wind is blowing all the rain inside!
How is California so weird? Flooding the last 3 days, but still in a drought!!
Thanks for the messages guys, I love all the info this site provides from all you folks! I've never put anything together over a 4 year span. This is proving to be a lot of fun!!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

61 and 62 trucks used clear signal lenses.

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

soopernaut wrote:61 and 62 trucks used clear signal lenses.

What about the bulbs? Were they onange or just regular clear bulbs? Just wondering?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I wasn't aware that '62s used them too. :thinking

John

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hobcobble wrote:
I wasn't aware that '62s used them too. :thinking

John
The part number for both 61 and 62 lenses is 1937194. 63 and later trucks have different numbers(more than one). Also the 61 and 62 brochures both show clear lenses. The color of the bulbs is not specified in the parts book but it is the same for 61 and 62 as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 4&_sacat=0

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Good stuff. :Thumbsup Thanks. :clap

John

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

Thank all of you for all the great info! Proving to be invaluable!!

I am making progress every day, head lights were shorting out because of all the spider webs, and eggs and just dirt and crap inside one of the plugs. Tail lights now work, blinkers are good to go, and now I just need to figure out how to get the brake lights working. Either rig up the hydraulic switch or just move the wires and install a pedal switch? Haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning towards the pedal switch.

At the same time, it seems like I should just pull the plug on everything and start over? Loose plugs and bad connections are driving me nuts. I really wish I could find some new plugs and make it easier, I really don't want to use a universal after market kit, but I also don't want to keep tracing demons!!!

Anyways, I really do appreciate all the information!!!

Y'all have a good evening!

Eric

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Year One owns the rights to reproduce most of the factory type connectors( the ones that are reproduced). You can find some stuff thru companies like Dorman or Help. Year One's are reproductions the rest are similar replacements.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?