Neutral Safety Switch

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Neutral Safety Switch

Post by Brudog »

Are there aftermarket options for replacing a Neutral Safety Switch plug? I am using the Ron Francis wiring kit to re-wire my truck, and wanted to see if I could install a new safety switch connection. My transmission is a New Process 435 for my 68.

Also, do you know if when the truck is in neutral what should the neutral switch be in (opened circuit or closed)?

I had not heard of the neutral safety switch until I came across its mention in the wiring kit instructions.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge... :salut

Jim

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: Neutral Safety Switch

Post by MadMC63 »

1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Are u sure there is such a switch on a 435? I dont recall one on any truck I own. I thought they were just on autos.
Such a switch would be closed when in neutral.

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

Are u sure there is such a switch on a 435? I dont recall one on any truck I own. I thought they were just on autos.
Such a switch would be closed when in neutral.
My data plate states I have a 435, and it is a manual trans. Two wires ran from somewhere to a plug on the top of the transmission. I have not confirmed the transmission matches the data plate. Guess that will be added to the list of things to do.

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

It looks similar to this one, and the location of where the neutral safety switch appears to match.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/New-Pro ... nfo/21003/
Attachments
435REBUILT.jpg
435REBUILT.jpg (22.32 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

Ugh, maybe it is a backup lamp switch. :banghead

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

So the Ron Francis instructions state: "Mopar uses a relay to control the starter solenoid. Their transmission mounted neutral safety switch controls the relay through the LT BLUE wire (RELAY -> NS SW) by creating a GROUND on that wire in park and neutral. This closes the relay and allows the starter solenoid to engage when you turn the key to crank. The engine will not crank without the neutral safety switch working properly."

Based on the above, and the fact the NP-435s do not have a neutral safety switch, what do you think I should do?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Brudog wrote:So the Ron Francis instructions state: "Mopar uses a relay to control the starter solenoid. Their transmission mounted neutral safety switch controls the relay through the LT BLUE wire (RELAY -> NS SW) by creating a GROUND on that wire in park and neutral. This closes the relay and allows the starter solenoid to engage when you turn the key to crank. The engine will not crank without the neutral safety switch working properly."

Based on the above, and the fact the NP-435s do not have a neutral safety switch, what do you think I should do?

Jump or ground the circuit. Or if you really want put a clutch safety in so it has to be pushed down to start. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That switch on the 435 is the back-up light switch, not a neutral switch.

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

I jumped the connection on the panel and removed what was erroneously connected to the backup lamp switch. Attempted to start the truck and it turned over, but didn't start. Was close though.

Will verify that I am getting spark, by pulling a plug and wire and touching it to the engine while attempting to start it again.

Probably need to troubleshoot the carburetor, as I saw a little fuel leaked out of it. I was fighting it when I re-attached the choke cable to it (swapped my dash out with a better looking one that was in my parts truck).

But I am much closer than I was 24-48 hours ago. Thanks for the input. :Thumbsup

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Brudog wrote: (swapped my dash out with a better looking one that was in my parts truck).
If I recall.... your W200 has the special [extra] padded dashboard. :thinking
I remember seeing it at Glen's. If so, put it in a safe place.... its an "investment". :dance :clap
John

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

The dash had the extra padding. It was also not in the best shape, cracked and what not. I have since removed the padding, but still have it stored. Didn't know it had any value to it. I think Bud mentioned that they were not factory or not sweptline when I had showed him pictures of my extra items for sale/trade. And the dash had a lot of extra holes made for extra switches and doohickies from its use as a fire dept or military vehicle. I also have another dash that I got in Saint Louis that I am not using either (bought it before I acquired the parts truck for $300).

New dash has one pad that runs from the right side of the gauge panel to the passenger side. Much better shape.

For my troubleshooting, I did some tests recommended by a friend (much more knowledgeable than me) and based on the symptoms he informed me that my timing is most likely off. Removed the distributor when I replaced the points with the PerTronix Ignitor. Now I have to figure out how to resolve this issue. Everything is a learning process for me these days. :pale