Ballast Resistors

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Ballast Resistors

Post by Jims68 »

OK... I know what they do, but I was wondering... is there anyway to make your own? Say for example, can you put an electronics "resistor" inside the old ballast resistor or something "homemade" like that to make your own?

Just wondering.... :thinking
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Springfield
State: MO

Re: Ballast Resistors

Post by cadman »

I don't believe so. As far as I know, the whole assembly is just a single component high-power resistor. If you were to put a smaller "electronics" resistor in its place, it would smoke instantly. Most of the resistors you see on a small electronic circuit board are 1/8W or smaller. The high-power resistors are big ceramic bricks, just like your ballast resistor. So you could probably get the specs for the ballast resistor, go to your electronics shop, and they could order an exact match, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

Example here: http://www.ntepartsdirect.com/ENG/PRODU ... AoSt8P8HAQ
Grandpa's '66 W200

If it aint' broke..., I probably haven't fiddled with it.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

cadman wrote:... So you could probably get the specs for the ballast resistor, go to your electronics shop, and they could order an exact match, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.
You are probably right! It wouldn't be worth it. I was just wondering if you could make a "homemade" ballast resistor easy enough. Thanks for the explanation! :salut
Jim

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I order parts for the circuit board on my saltwater pool chlorinator from a company called Digi-key. They would likely have the "components" to build one, but as stated it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

If you are going through ballast resistors like my 69 was, just get a coil for a 73 F100 with a 360 and be done with it. Internal ballast points coil. Clip the old ballast harness out if having it there looks funny, leave in place but disconnected if you prefer a stock look.

My truck last ran in summer 2015. Sent 5 resistors and three fender mounted solenoids/relays to the trash can in a month. :censored Can't get USA made replacement parts locally, do not trust online parts sellers, converting to Ford ignition parts.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I wasn't having problems with my ballast resistors... this was just something I had "thought" about. I DO like the idea of using a FORD Coil though!!
Jim

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

I like using whatever is proven, readily sourced and basically bullet proof. I can still get affordable USA made alternators (GM) and coils/solenoids (Ford) locally. Everything Mopar say China, India or Mexico on the package and product. My last 318 dizzy and alternator had remanufactured in Mexico on the box. Dizzy lasted less than a week before the shaft started to wobble. Alternator was junk right out of the box, always have it tested before I accept a reman.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

Buy a coil made to run on 12 volts, bypass the resistor. Only if you run electronic ignition.