Starter Relay

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Starter Relay

Post by Brudog »

I was re-connecting the battery this weekend after purchasing new battery cables and excluding the battery disconnect switch from the circuit. When I hooked up the negative, smoke started coming out of two spots along the firewall. :pale

In my limited knowledge of things that go zap, I would guess there is a short somewhere that I need to locate and fix prior to my truck turning into flamage. There are multiple exposed, cut, and/or disconnected wires under the dash, so it shall be fun times trying to sort it all out.

First will be replacing the starter relay.

This is how I believe it is supposed to go:
StarterRelayWiring.png
StarterRelayWiring.png (7.1 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Is that correct? Everything connected to the male bolt are the larger battery cables.

Also, when I am re-wiring, how do I know what gauge wires to use where? I have a wiring diagram, but I only see colors. Is everything pretty much the same gauge except the battery cables and the big cable from the starter relay to the starter solenoid?

Thanks,

Jim

('67.5 W200 Crew Cab)

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Starter Relay

Post by soopernaut »

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Grab a shop manual for it for sure

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Hi Jim,

Check out the 6th and 9th topic here : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34977

Although for the '69-71 trucks, the basic concept is the same. It appears your diagram is correct, and as explained in the above link - there will also be another wire off the large post of the relay... it goes to your ammeter (dash).

Get an inexpensive voltmeter ( Harbor Freight, etc.) to help you trace the circuits.

Walt
:usa