Wiper information

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
djcobraman427
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Wiper information

Post by djcobraman427 »

I am slowly getting my 1961 Power Wagon back to road worthy. Engine and trans work well, now working on details. When I got the truck, it had a newer 4-wire wiper motor, year unknown, sitting on the seat. The owner said the original 2 wire wiper motor had quit, but he had no idea of how to wire in the 4-wire motor to the original 3 wire switch, so he had purchased another newer switch that was supposed to work'

My question: The new switch has 7 tabs, the wiper motor has two 2-wire plug ends. I know the newer switch had a washer tap, but not sure which one. I was a missile electronics repairman in the Army and generally do not have issues with wiring. But automotive wiring is a little different. Is it possible to bring the original power into the new switch, and from there, to attach the 4 wires to the wiper motor. I know its possible, anything is possible, I hope. My budget doesn't allow me to buy n\"new", so I am trying it the other way.

So, does anyone know how to do what I need to do. If I new the year of the newer switch, mid 70's I think, I could get a wiring diagram from that identifying the lettered tabs, and combine it with the wiring diagram from the 4 wire wiper motor. I spent 3 hours on the computer last night, printing off all kinds of useless wiring diagrams, so I'm hoping I can find help here. Thanks everyone for reading this post and I apologize for any head scratching that I have caused.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Wiper information

Post by 712edf »

If you could post of a picture of your switch & one of your motor if might help us identify what you are dealing with & we could go from there.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

712edf wrote:If you could post of a picture of your switch & one of your motor if might help us identify what you are dealing with & we could go from there.

Bucky
+1 pics help! i have rebuilt a couple of the wiper motors with great results. if you would like to send the original, i can give it a try no charge. but no guarantees.

djcobraman427
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Post by djcobraman427 »

After talking to Powerwagon54, I think the best solution is to just replace the original switch for the correct factory 2 speed switch, just to make things easier for future owners. But thanks for the offers for help.