Interior Light or Light(s) 1970 D100

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
rmansberger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Lansing
State: MI

Interior Light or Light(s) 1970 D100

Post by rmansberger »

So I put all the interior back together and the cab light did not function as normal. I inserted the bulb in and it was dim, I reversed it and it was very bright. Shut both doors and it stayed on with the dimmer switch down, still had cab light.

Electrical is not my strong suit. So any hints would be helpful. I checked both of the door release switch and they are moving in and out as designed.

Also, is there more than one cab light other than the one above center rear window?

Thanks in advance.

Rick out
Rick Mansberger
1967 Mustang "Duke"
1970 Dodge D100 "The Dude"
1978 GMC Suburban "Big Cub"
2006 C300
2014 RAM Limited "Master Sergeant"

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Interior Light or Light(s) 1970 D100

Post by Jims68 »

Sounds like you have a "Tail light" bulb in your interior light socket as they have a dim and bright filament in them. Also, the small tips on the base are offset. PLUS, the tail light bulb has TWO contacts on the base of the bulb. For the correct bulb, it should be a SINGLE FILAMENT bulb with only ONE contact on the base. I can't exactly recall the number but it should be something like a #67 or something like that.

I didn't think the 1970 had the switch on the light. But, it SHOULD go out with the switch down. Also, that switch is just an ON/OFF switch and not a dimmer (provided we are talking about the switch on the light) IF you are talking about the light switch dimmer, then the interior light should come on when you rotate it to the one side. Then, when you rotate it the other way, the interior light should go out. I "think" that the 1970 had the interior light switches in the door jambs.

Sorry... but there is only one light in the cab for these trucks and that is over the rear window!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

rmansberger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Lansing
State: MI

Post by rmansberger »

Hey, Jim, I wanted to let you know that was exactly the problem. I put the signal filament bulb in and TaDah, light!

You know what they say, only God and Electricians can make light. Clearly I am not an electrician, but with your help we now have interior light at night.

Very cool and very helpful.

Thanks so much.

Rick out
Rick Mansberger
1967 Mustang "Duke"
1970 Dodge D100 "The Dude"
1978 GMC Suburban "Big Cub"
2006 C300
2014 RAM Limited "Master Sergeant"

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

HEY, I was glad to help out! and also glad that it was an "easy" fix for you too!! Everyone needs an easy fix now and then! :salut
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489