69 fuel, oil, water temp gauges. oh - and brake warning?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
56gambit
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: federal way
State: WA

69 fuel, oil, water temp gauges. oh - and brake warning?

Post by 56gambit »

69 A100. So, I've been searching and searching and haven't found quite the right post about this. Oil and Water pressure gauges peg to hot immediately on startup. However, fuel gauge does not. I've found a lot of info about an Instrument Voltage Regulator that can go bad in some rigs, but it's not this one. The fuel gauge is a 3 pin in the back which apparently means the IVR is built into it. So here's the confusion for me; although inaccurate, the fuel gauge works. It doesn't peg to hot, whereas the oil and water gauges do. Since the power for the gauges is fed to the fuel gauge (and it's internal IVR?) then continues in series to both the water and oil gauge then I'd conclude that the fuel gauge should be pegging to the right just like the oil and water gauges are. I replaced the water and oil gauges so those are new.
What gives?

56gambit
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 69 fuel, oil, water temp gauges. oh - and brake warning?

Post by 56gambit »

Chose to delete the part about the brake warning. Scary experience, but a story for a different time..

56gambit
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 56gambit »

here's the backside (opened up) of a fuel gauge for my 69 A100 truck. Apologies for the blur...

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

It's internal to the gauge. That little brass bar with the wire wrapped around needs to be bent back so it doesn't touch anything. I clipped mine off. Then, you can put the IVR3 externally and run it all from there. Someone can share a link here where you can make your own limiter with a piece of aluminum.... It sounds like this could be your problem..

56gambit
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 56gambit »

Thanks for the RTE tip.. I've added some more stuff here in hopes that it might help others..
I found a link on the sweptline site but it's broken. This is the new one: http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/Main_Page
The part is $50
There's a lot of helpful info there, but some is a bit confusing when it comes to selecting a part. Basically they offer what they call an IVR3 and an IVR4. The application listing shows that my 69 d100 would use an IVR4, however the instruction section says the following:
The RTE IVR4 style solid state limiter replaces the limiter styles that plugs into a circuit board on the back of your dash. If you don’t have a circuit board, then you may need the RTE IVR3 style limiter, or you may have a dash that has the limiter built into the fuel gauge.
Since the 69 D100 doesn't have a circuit board I would conclude from the last sentence that the IVR3 should be used, however they finish with "or you may have a dash that has the limiter built into the fuel gauge." Does this mean then the IVR4 is to be used? After going through several instructions scenarios and seeing the IVR3 installed on, and grounded to, a circuit board style dash I'm having to conclude that any ground will do whether it's a circuit board style or not and that the IVR3 should be used rather than the 4.
I don't like to assume these sorts of things so I was going to email RTE but there's no contact info and I noticed their page hasn't been updated since 2011.
Anybody already know if a truck with an internal voltage regulator that's inside the fuel gauge on a dash that does not have a printed circuit board would use an IVR3 or an IVR4? Also, anybody recently ordered from RTE (or similar, if any exists..)? Thanks!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

If you don't use John's link, I bought and used the IVR3 and have been using it for over a year in my 68 now. You bring 12V off of the ignition switch and go out to each gauge and use the same jumper to the temp gauge.

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

56gambit
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 56gambit »

Thank you for the info. I ran with it and made a 12v to 5v converter out of a car cell phone charger I had laying around. Works great. The oil gauge worked solid, the water temp one didn't move whereas it had before. Pulled water gauge, found the little wire was broken, did a fix that seemed to work since I had continuity, but no dice - it didn't move. About that time I found the oil gauge also no longer moved. I don't think it's the new voltage reducer did that, though. Nonetheless I'm betting the oil gauge is similarly burned out. ... I'm getting 5.2v or so steady at the gauges so I'm guessing that somewhere in the process of goofing with stuff I sent spikes to the water and oil gauges enough to burn out the thin 45 year old wires. So, there it is there.
I like to think I can fix most anything, but I'm thinking this isn't one of the "mosts." The tech they had back in the day has lasted 45 years. I'd like to think you'd just re-do it and it's last another 45 but I see here that it's a losing battle; solid state is the safer, more dependable way to go.
Looking now to find gauges that fit in a D100 dash, but may have to devolve to the side mount stuff.
Here's the cell phone charger conversion if you want to use it. Good luck!

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

56gambit wrote:Thanks for the RTE tip.. I've added some more stuff here in hopes that it might help others..
I found a link on the sweptline site but it's broken. This is the new one: http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/Main_Page
The part is $50
There's a lot of helpful info there, but some is a bit confusing when it comes to selecting a part. Basically they offer what they call an IVR3 and an IVR4. The application listing shows that my 69 d100 would use an IVR4, however the instruction section says the following:
The RTE IVR4 style solid state limiter replaces the limiter styles that plugs into a circuit board on the back of your dash. If you don’t have a circuit board, then you may need the RTE IVR3 style limiter, or you may have a dash that has the limiter built into the fuel gauge.
Since the 69 D100 doesn't have a circuit board I would conclude from the last sentence that the IVR3 should be used, however they finish with "or you may have a dash that has the limiter built into the fuel gauge." Does this mean then the IVR4 is to be used? After going through several instructions scenarios and seeing the IVR3 installed on, and grounded to, a circuit board style dash I'm having to conclude that any ground will do whether it's a circuit board style or not and that the IVR3 should be used rather than the 4.
I don't like to assume these sorts of things so I was going to email RTE but there's no contact info and I noticed their page hasn't been updated since 2011.
Anybody already know if a truck with an internal voltage regulator that's inside the fuel gauge on a dash that does not have a printed circuit board would use an IVR3 or an IVR4? Also, anybody recently ordered from RTE (or similar, if any exists..)? Thanks!
The IVR4 is a plug in style for a printed circuit board, which I believe is used on the A100's.
The IVR3 is a remote mounted type, which is what you would use if your IVR in your fuel gauge craps out. I believe the earlier D/W's used a external one, as mentioned if your fuel gauge is a 3-wire it's built in, 2-wire it's external.
Both styles are available from NAPA, ECHLIN IR9 is a IVR4 and ECHLIN IR1 is a IVR3.
ECHLIN IR1 is $61.99 and ECHLIN IR9 is $48.99.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab