Going back to Points

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
69W200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: NE Wyoming
State: WY

Going back to Points

Post by 69W200 »

A mechanic friend of mine ( who moved) replaced the original points system w/ a pertronix system a few years back when I didnt have time to deal with it. And now I wish to go back to the original parts(long story) . I have no reference now of how they were installed.

Can some one post where the original ballast resistor was located? Where does the wire go off the back of the points? Is it just to ground? Where does the black wire off the coil go?..... to any ground or to the side of the dizzy? Any pics or reference are appreciated.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Going back to Points

Post by pwadventurer »

The ballast resistor sits right above the wiring bulkhead connector. Should be a pink and red wire on one side and a red on the other side. Pink wire from ignition key start, red to positive side of coil. Other side red to ignition key run. Might be two screw holes where it originally mounted. The black wire from points goes to negative on coil.
IMG_0001points distributor - Copy (2).jpg

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

Curious as to why are were not happy with electronic ignition - was it something with the Pertronix distributor in particular?

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Inwood
State: Foreign

Post by Cody100 »

Just curious, what are the benefits of the pertronix EI? Is it just more reliability and less maintenance?
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

Cody100 wrote:Just curious, what are the benefits of the pertronix EI? Is it just more reliability and less maintenance?
Yes and yes, easy install took me about an hour. Runs and strats better :clap
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

69W200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69W200 »

hitparader wrote:Curious as to why are were not happy with electronic ignition - was it something with the Pertronix distributor in particular?
Thanks for the help all. I really liked the way the engine ran with the Pertronix...but I toasted 2 out of 3 I owned on this project and another. The timing seemed more stable and the engine ran smoother. I may try an old mopar HEI system next when I get the time.

runcharger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: B.C.

Post by runcharger »

Chrysler style electronic boxes are junk lately too, either Chrysler or aftermarket.

Sheldon

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

runcharger wrote:Chrysler style electronic boxes are junk lately too, either Chrysler or aftermarket.

Sheldon

Good thing I have a sizable collection of original Chrysler 4 and 5 pin ignition box's. :lol:
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

runcharger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: B.C.

Post by runcharger »

Kim: I save every old one I find as well, much more reliable than the new store bought ones.

Sheldon

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

In the 40 yeas that I have been driving MOPARS with the factory electronic ignition, Think 2 or 3 failed in that time.
Ballasts periodically, But always carried a spare.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

jwing68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lethbridge,Alberta

Post by jwing68 »

A good ignition upgrade is to install the GM HEI module on your rig, it is simple and does away with the ballast resistor, mother mopars electronic ignition works well but it is not a true high energy spark which is why the spark plug gap remains the same as an antiquated point system @.035. The GM module is cheaper than mother mopars as well. :2cents
66 Fargo W100 Sweptline SWB Poly 318
67 Fargo W100 Sweptline SWB Poly 318
68 Fargo W300 dually LA 318
66 Dodge W200 Poly
65 Dodge W300 dually Poly 318
68 Pontiac Firebird 350
2005 HD FXST Custom

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

69W200 wrote:
hitparader wrote: really liked the way the engine ran with the Pertronix...but I toasted 2 out of 3 I owned on this project and another. The timing seemed more stable
Any chance the pertronix are getting fried because of an installation error ?
Like if you forgot to include the ballast resistor in the circuit when required ?

Just thought these were supposed to be very reliable units... Haven't had any problems with mine in about 3 different cars

69W200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69W200 »

coelcanth wrote:
69W200 wrote:
hitparader wrote: really liked the way the engine ran with the Pertronix...but I toasted 2 out of 3 I owned on this project and another. The timing seemed more stable
Any chance the pertronix are getting fried because of an installation error ?
Like if you forgot to include the ballast resistor in the circuit when required ?

Just thought these were supposed to be very reliable units... Haven't had any problems with mine in about 3 different cars
I used the diagram on one and the other used a jumper to get 12v . I believe I was told they could handle 12v

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I constantly hear of failing petronix in the world of Power wagons and MVs. NOS points and NOS condensers are the way to go. if you set up points correctly with a dwell meter it will start and run as good as any electronic system. LIke you are all saying the aftermarket parts are just terrible these days. I think the accel brand points and condenser might still be good quality. the GM is not very reliable in my experience. I used to own chevies and if one plug wire would go bad it would fry the module. 120 bucks every time. and the big ugly thing looks terrible. ;/)

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I have the MoPar Performance E.I. kit on all of my Sweptlines as
well as my '67 R/T. All have worked fine for years without any
issues. :Thumbsup
John

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Hobcobble wrote:I have the MoPar Performance E.I. kit on all of my Sweptlines as
well as my '67 R/T. All have worked fine for years without any
issues. :Thumbsup
John
:Thumbsup Ditto what John said.... coils have given me the most issues over the years.
Ballast Resistors come in second. Never had a problem with distributor, especially the MPP kits.

Walt

LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stockton
State: CA

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

i agree with Walt and John.

my '68 W100 (LA318) had a petronix system in it when i bought it. 2nd time i drove it, after about 100 mi it started crapping out and i barely made it to the next off ramp. sat there for 45 min until it cooled down enough to start working again. had to stop and let it cool once more before i made it home. i junked the petronix system and went with the mopar performance kit (orange brain box and recurved distributor). ignition's run fine ever since.

as far as the ballast resistor concerns, in all my mopars i mount a 2nd ballast resistor right above or below the original. that way if the original goes out is quick fix to swap wires to the back-up. in all my years of driving them i can't remember ever having to swap one out tho...

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Inwood

Post by Cody100 »

Anyone have a link for where to pick up a MoPar Performance E.I., like John had mentioned? I checked summit and only found a distributor cap...

For the /6
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom