'66 Instrument Cluster questions

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Springfield
State: MO

'66 Instrument Cluster questions

Post by cadman »

So I discovered why half my instrument cluster is out - a critter's been gnawing on things up there. Apparently has a thing for the blue wires. Anyway, as I am trying to put this back together, I have some questions (pics attached for reference):

1) Strapped to the back of the speedo is a...condenser? Where was that wired to? Possibly the bus bar on the back of the ammeter?
2) There is a heavy gauge (~10awg) red wire that I can't find the other end of. You can see it in the pic above the fuel gauge. It looks like a clean cut, tho, no teeth marks. And it also looks like the PO (grandpa) already ran alternate wiring direct for the ammeter. Is it possible this is just a clipped leftover from the conversion?
3) Is it possible my truck does not have dummy lights for oil, temp, and high-beams? They are shown on the wiring diagram but seem to not exist on my instrument cluster.
IMG_3971_sm.jpg
IMG_3972_sm.jpg
Thanks
Grandpa's '66 W200

If it aint' broke..., I probably haven't fiddled with it.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: '66 Instrument Cluster questions

Post by dodgeboykim »

condenser is just for radio noise suppression. According to the radio wiring schematic I have it shows the condenser hooked to 12 v side of voltage limiter . If you want I can send you the file so you can see it. P M me your e mail addy.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

It looks like the two black circles top pic, are the instrument lights, should be black wire to each. The orange circle is the high beam light, orange wire.
66 instrument light.png
66 instrument light.png (215.46 KiB) Viewed 975 times
The bottom pic with black circle is Left turn signal lamp with yellow wire to it. It also looks like an amp bypass plate was installed.
66 instrument light.png
66 instrument light.png (215.46 KiB) Viewed 975 times

not sure why two pics the same posted
Attachments
66 instrument lights 1.png
66 instrument lights 1.png (226.64 KiB) Viewed 975 times

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cadman »

Thanks, all. I got it put back together, only three wires I could never figure out where they go. The gauges and indicators all work now.

So what does the ammeter bypass plate do? The ammeter still works, so..
Grandpa's '66 W200

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Eliminates amp gauge . Wont register after its jumped. :pale
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cadman »

That's what I would have thought. However, 1) the gauge still operates, and moves as you'd expect, and 2) grandpa installed amp gauges on everything he owned that had an engine - there's no way he survived without a properly working ammeter in this truck.

Is it possible that the needle deflection is smaller than without the bypass, but it still works?

What was the advantage of installing a bypass?

Thanks
Grandpa's '66 W200

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Possibly they added them for the camper special wiring. :thinking :thinking

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Cadman, it is possible that the bypass works to eliminate full alternator/battery current from passing through the gauge. If a higher output alternator is installed, this could be a safety measure (makes sense that it could have been for Camper Specials, but I've never personally seen this before). The fact that the ammeter still works is interesting and gives credence to the safety measure idea.

Walt :usa