interior lights?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

interior lights?

Post by fireguyfire »

working out the bugs in the 69 and have figured them all out except 1 which I havent looked at too closely yet; we have no interior lights in the cab.
Looks like there is a light in the middle of the lower dash, as well as the dome light central above the rear window.
Had a quick peek at the fuses tonight before we called it quits and they seemed fine.
Anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting the interior lights?

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: interior lights?

Post by pwadventurer »

The dome light is on the brake light, and low brake warning light fuse. You should have 12 volt positive on the yellow conductor at the dome light with reference to a good ground at all times. The 12 volt negative white conductor works through the door switches and the dimmer on the head light switch. There should be a yellow/white connector for the dome light near the pillar and head light switch. The head light dimmer switch needs a good ground connection via the dash to work properly. The door switches sometimes get gummed up and or rusty.

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane

Post by fireguyfire »

OK;
Figure out 90% of our issues today. The light at the bottom of the dash near the ash tray had a bad bulb; it now goes on and off with the doors opening and closing as it should be.
The dome light above the rear window had me puzzled, until I noticed there was a slot in the lense and figured out there should be some sort of lever to turn the dome light on/off. Sure enough I found the hole that the "lever" should screw into and if I move it with a screw driver it turns the dome light on and off. (I need a new "lever" for the dome light if anybody has one; Ill post in the parts wanted).
The part I still havent solved is the headlight switch; when you turn the headlight switch it of course dims the dash bulbs and then it "clicks" on but neither the dome light nor the dash door light comes on. Which interior light switch is the light switch supposed to turn on when it is fully turned? Does the dome light "lever" need to be at a certain setting to get it to go on with the headlight switch? Playing with a screwdriver I only could get it to go on or off, nothing in between.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

On my head light switch, turning the dimmer full counter clockwise till it clicks, grounds out the negative 12 V to the dome. The switch also needs to be grounded to the dash (mechanical ground) for that function to work. Look for a white wire on terminal "D" on the head light switch, this white wire should also be spliced with the white wires to the door switches.

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

As you found on your '69 regular cab, the dome light is activated ONLY by a lever-activated switch on the bulb base itself, like earlier models (crewcabs had a separate switch on dash, and 70-71 are activated 'full on' by white/yellow wires from the door jamb switches, OR by the headlight switch). Your '69 has no provision for that rotational click on the headlamp switch.

The bulb base should have a lever on it to turn the lamp on and off. The dome light cover would have a slot in it, on the driver's side, for this lever. "Lever up" creates continuity with ground circuit from the base screwed into the cab metal. The power feed wire (yellow?) is the positive lead from fuse panel area.

The door jamb plunger switches only operate the under-dash courtesy light, over the transmission hump, on '69 Adventurer trim models.

The link here, 1st and 4th topics in particular, shows only '70-'71 models: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34977
But, you can use this to understand yours better - or modify it.

Hope that helps,
-Walt
Last edited by PwrWgnWalt on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

I used a later switch with dome light (turn counterclockwise at switch) to turn the dome on in my 66. Some wiring mods and good to go and convenient.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

:goodpost :goodpost :goodpost

I have no dog in this hunt, just want to state that I an impressed with the little details that ya'll are providing to help the OP out.
This is stuff that you just can't "google" then go do.

Our society is losing this hands on knowledge.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Cris »

712edf wrote::goodpost :goodpost :goodpost

I have no dog in this hunt, just want to state that I an impressed with the little details that ya'll are providing to help the OP out.
This is stuff that you just can't "google" then go do.

Our society is losing this hands on knowledge.

Bucky

Plus one B'.!.! I continue to be amazed every time I log on to this site. Helpful bunch of folks.
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?