Headlamp switch help

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
63D100guy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucson
State: AZ

Headlamp switch help

Post by 63D100guy »

Does anyone have a trick on removing the 58-64 head lamp switch? its the one with the hole on bottom not a button

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Headlamp switch help

Post by powerwagon54 »

the button is under the wires. You have to unplug the wires from it and there is the buttom.

63D100guy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 63D100guy »

Thanks man youre a life saver. New question anyone know where to pick one up? 2 headlights on one side fire up when switch is pulled and then all 4 when dimmer is pushed.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Check your grounds and dimmer switch. Then go from there. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

63D100guy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 63D100guy »

Dimmer, starter relay and voltage regulator have been changed out and only grounds not in place are the taillights and bumper electrics as all the wires in the bed were tore up pretty bad. The lights on one side light nice and bright and then all four, it should be one side and the other then all four. Didnt have the issue when it was parked 10yrs or so ago

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

63 guy, you have to trouble shoot a few things. If you have a voltage ohm meter, that will help. Use the meter to check for continuity of all low and high beam lamps, the low/high beam lamp should ring out between all three terminals.

First unplug the right front connector that goes to both low/high lamps and check the operation of the left front lamps. If problem still exists, reconnect right front connector and unplug left front lamp connector and check operation of right front lamps. If problem still exists, pull both left and right front connectors apart, turn on switch, and check for voltage on the black wire (low beam) and for voltage on the red wire (high beam) at the connector from the source side of the connector. You should only have power on black wire with the low beam selected.If you have power on both red and black the problem moves to the dimmer switch or head light switch.

Look over all the wires at the connectors and along the harness for any bare or broken wires also.

63D100guy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 63D100guy »

ok so i chased broken grounds and got my lights all working,re built turn signal switch and now turn signals are on but only drivers side blinks, passenger side is a steady. But also once head lights are on no blinkers. any ideas? already figured its in the cab now but not buying a $300+ replacement switch either, if i have to ill put in an on-off-on toggle and just pay attention so i dont look like an old lady on sunday haha

RoukoSadra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hawk Springs
State: WY

Post by RoukoSadra »

I only paid $15 for my headlight switch at autozone in Scottsbluff, NE. (this is for a 1966 W200) I think the switches are the same though.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

headlight switches changed in mid 65. early 65 back is the one he is working on. see his pic.

63D100guy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 63D100guy »

yes its the older electrical and much harder to find, my headlamp switch has been cleaned and is now fully working. my problem seems to be in the turn signal switch now thats the expensive one.