Charging system help please....!!!

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
flyinbrick68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: north platte
State: NE

Charging system help please....!!!

Post by flyinbrick68 »

Long story short my alt fried my wiring up to my amp meter. All three ten gauge wires were burnt so i replaced them. I ran an 8 gauge with a fusible link from the alt to the battery relay on the inner fender and an 8 gauge with a fusible link from the relay into the dash into the main wiring splice where the old cables were. I was able to salvage a small part i believe that was coming from a switch. So do i need to have a second wire coming from the back of the alt to the main wiring splice? I replaced the voltage regulator added a newer ground from that to the engine block and a new ground from the negative battery cable to the frame. The alt puts out a steady 14 volts and a bit over 14.5 when its revved over 3500 rpm. Past that the headlights seem to surge an get bright and the tac and my oil and coolant gauge are.off. Tach fluctuates and spikes. Does this sound like a grounding issue? The motors a 73 440
with a cam intake and converter.

flyinbrick68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: north platte
State: NE

Re: Charging system help please....!!!

Post by flyinbrick68 »

I'll try an get pics up of what i've ran an whats left of the burned up harness. Does anyone know where to find a replacement if i end up needing one? Reading your posts has helped me wire up to this point. It runs and drives at least so that's a start.