Dead fan motor?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Dead fan motor?

Post by Hardcase »

A few years ago, I noticed that the heater fan switch in the '61 Ute was getting a little warm. Not too long after that, it went from warm to hot, then the fan stopped working. I haven't looked at it since, mostly because I only drive the truck when the weather is nice (AKA, not when it's cold or humid), but I guess that it's probably time to fix it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Based on the heat, it makes me think that perhaps the windings on the motor shorted out. Is there some other culprit?

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Springfield
State: MO

Re: Dead fan motor?

Post by cadman »

I would think that if the motor shorted (heat=high amps) the fuse would pop. However, high resistance in the fan switch (like from corrosion or a bad solder joint) would cause the switch to heat up, and eventually fail and break the connection. So my 2 pennies are on a bad switch. Have you tried to jumper out the fan switch?

BB
Grandpa's '66 W200

If it aint' broke..., I probably haven't fiddled with it.

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

cadman wrote:I would think that if the motor shorted (heat=high amps) the fuse would pop. However, high resistance in the fan switch (like from corrosion or a bad solder joint) would cause the switch to heat up, and eventually fail and break the connection. So my 2 pennies are on a bad switch. Have you tried to jumper out the fan switch?
That'll be on my list of troubleshooting stuff. I'm going to work on it this weekend.

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

Frayed and corroded wiring was the culprit. I cleaned it up and resoldered the joint and got a nice blast of warm air.