Universal Wiring Harness

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Gigabitdrew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Starkville
State: MS

Universal Wiring Harness

Post by Gigabitdrew »

I recently purchased a Universal Wiring Harness for EZ-Wiring.

The old wiring harness was hacked, spliced, worn, and parts were just plain missing. I took a lot of photos, and made sure to try and understand the way the old wiring harness was connected prior to pulling it all out, my issue is that a lot of it was missing. The new wiring harness has a fuse box, and the instructions don't really cover my 1964 W200. It does cover Mopar, and references a general diagram going back to 1972.

Here is where I am at... I am starting to run the new wiring and connect just the items that are necessary for starting it, but I'm not so sure about a few issues... I was thinking that I could just connect power and ignition wiring to starter relay (already wired starter relay to starter and battery)... i've got the coil wire directly connected to the coil positive... and currently coil negative/ground connected to the distributor. From here I can jump the starter relay with a screwdriver and the starter motor will engage, but i'm not getting a spark coming from the coil. (BTW, the engine block is grounded to the cab) I'm guessing that i need to wiring the ignition switch to put the truck in the 'ON' position at least. Don't know... so here is where I am at...

Do I still use the ballast resister in my new wiring? If so, exactly where does it go?

Does the coil ground actually go to the distributor?

Once I connect the new wiring from the fuse box to the different components, do I still run a separate line from the ignition switch straight to the coil? Is this the line that connects to the ballast resistor?

I do the new wiring run to the alternator regulator, but I have not run the jumper wire from the regulator over to the alternator itself... nor do I have the alternator grounded at this time. My thought was that this was not necessary to wire the alternator at this time just to get the engine started.

Am I missing something else for wiring up the ignition for the truck to run? I'll connect all of the lights and gauges later... just want to be able to get a spark and see if I can get the engine to fire.

Thoughts?
1964 D100 - Yard Art Today, Transportation Tomorrow
1964 W200 - No, two is not an addiction

Gigabitdrew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Universal Wiring Harness

Post by Gigabitdrew »

Vasts amounts of knowledge... no responses... *sigh*

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

With points one would assume you have a start and run circuit. Does harness have that. If so a ballast would be used . Grounds to engine body etc always needed. Personally I would have to see the harness to figure it out. :study
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

Gigabitdrew wrote:

i've got the coil wire directly connected to the coil positive... and currently coil negative/ground connected to the distributor.
As dodgeboykim said, the ballast resistor needs to be in place, usually mounted on fire wall. The ignition start wire goes to resistor and coil, the ignition run wire goes to other side of resistor. With points the negative on coil goes to distributor.
Gigabitdrew wrote:
Once I connect the new wiring from the fuse box to the different components, do I still run a separate line from the ignition switch straight to the coil? Is this the line that connects to the ballast resistor?

ignition run goes to resistor, ignition start goes to coil and resistor.
Gigabitdrew wrote: Am I missing something else for wiring up the ignition for the truck to run? I'll connect all of the lights and gauges later... just want to be able to get a spark and see if I can get the engine to fire.

Thoughts?
For temporary use I would use a switch for the run, and momentary contact push button switch for the starter circuit.

Gigabitdrew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Gigabitdrew »

Thank you very much pwadventurer! My work schedule has it where it will be a few weeks before I can get back to this, but once I do i'll post my results.

Thank you for your feedback!

-gig