1971 D200 steering column grounding

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
laughingsquirrel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Francisco
State: CA

1971 D200 steering column grounding

Post by laughingsquirrel »

Does anyone know how the steering column was grounded originally? No ground, no horn. :( The previous owner's solution was to install a separate dual horn with a dedicated button screwed to the roof of the cab. :)

Since the bottom of the steering column has a rubber damper between itself and the steering gear, the only potential metal-to-metal contact is a ball bearing at the top. I say "potential" because the bearing appears insulated since I don't get any connectivity between its inner and outer rings. I am starting to wonder if there was a factory installed wire to ground the connector plate on the steering wheel itself.

Interesting, I am noticed the original horn is extremely sensitive to the voltage drop. It seems 30 OM resistance on the horn circuit is enough to start affecting the sound. I am yet to figure out what else is causing the 0.5V drop in the circuit in addition to the bad ground.

Any help is appreciated!

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: 1971 D200 steering column grounding

Post by dodgeboykim »

Horn should be grounded through wheel down column. Maybe ground strap at rubber doughnut/isolator at bottom of column is missing. :thinking

laughingsquirrel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Francisco
State: CA

Post by laughingsquirrel »

That's exactly what I thought! Do you know what gauge wire it was? Seems like 12 gauge should be plenty.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

That would work.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

dodgeboykim wrote:Horn should be grounded through wheel down column. Maybe ground strap at rubber doughnut/isolator at bottom of column is missing. :thinking
Maybe thats whats wrong with mine too. How about a picture of what your talking about. This same on a 64?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

I do not have a picture, But where the rag joint is they have a connector to ground from the upper column to lower part into steering box. They were probably a funny looking flat metal doodad that joined through the bolts. Wire will also work. Sometimes they break and sometimes their tossed because owner has no idea what its for. I know someone that did that on his 69 Barracuda and couldn't figure out why horn did not work.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

dodgeboykim wrote:I do not have a picture, But where the rag joint is they have a connector to ground from the upper column to lower part into steering box. They were probably a funny looking flat metal doodad that joined through the bolts. Wire will also work. Sometimes they break and sometimes their tossed because owner has no idea what its for. I know someone that did that on his 69 Barracuda and couldn't figure out why horn did not work.
Are you're saying to connect the steering column tube to a good ground. I would have thought the tube was grounded through the dash where it is bolted to. Maybe thats not a good enough ground. Time to get the ohm meter out. Thanks DKB :Thumbsup