Horn is not working

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Horn is not working

Post by 66patrick »

Where is it??? Do I even have one? On the '68 driver, the factory horn wiring is all in place and hooked up correctly (what I can see), and the horn is currently inoperative. I've tried two other horns with no success. There is no current draw seen, either at the ammeter or my multimeter, when I try to activate the horn.

On the lowered '68, the horn works, but is very, very weak. So, I probably have the same problem in both trucks. Any ideas???
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Re: Horn is not working

Post by Noelie84 »

Horn should be located behind the grill but in front of the radiator, I think. Or at least that's where it is on my '69.

Try jumping it directly from the battery and see if you go deaf. If not, either your horn's not grounding correctly or it's a complete dud. If it works, then the problem lies somewhere else (switch @ the wheel, relay, or wiring)
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Nope... on the '68 the horn is located on the SHOCK "upright" on the right side of the truck. There are TWO prongs. One is a ground and the other is HOT all the time. The horn button on the steering wheel will complete the ground circuit. See the photo of when I removed my front end. This shows exactly where the horn mount. I had to get a replacement horn though as mine was full of mud. hmmm.... :thinking
Attachments
007Nofrt.jpg
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Actually, my question should've read "Where is the horn relay???" A "duh" on my part.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

66patrick wrote:Actually, my question should've read "Where is the horn relay???" A "duh" on my part.
There isn't one for the 1968. :salut That is why there is a HOT wire going to it and a GROUND wire which isn't grounded until the horn button makes the ground. Vehicles with a horn relay will have a horn with one wire going to it. That would be a HOT wire which is energized from the relay completing a circuit when you ground the wire through the horn button. That horn ground goes from the horn button to the relay and would in turn complete the circuit. The horns with one wire ground through the horn bracket.
Jim

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

68 trucks have an auxiliary relay harness that is close to horn mounting point. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

dodgeboykim wrote:68 trucks have an auxiliary relay harness that is close to horn mounting point. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
Really? OK... my 68 doesn't have one so I assumed they all didn't. Maybe that was a late model '68 when they started them? :thinking
Jim

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

Jims68 wrote:Nope... on the '68 the horn is located on the SHOCK "upright" on the right side of the truck. There are TWO prongs. One is a ground and the other is HOT all the time. The horn button on the steering wheel will complete the ground circuit. See the photo of when I removed my front end. This shows exactly where the horn mount. I had to get a replacement horn though as mine was full of mud. hmmm.... :thinking
Crap, that means that mine probably got relocated at some point, then...I can't imagine Dodge would have moved them for '69. :thinking
Although Maine has some epic mud seasons; maybe it kept filling up with mud so they moved it! :lol:

I can't imagine it'd be difficult to put it back where it belongs, though.
Something else to add to the 'to-do' list, I guess.
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I think the single horn trucks had no relay and the dual horn trucks had a relay.

I have never seen a horn mounted to the shock tower before. I had a very original 68 and I'm pretty sure the horn was on the radiator support but can't actually recall it. My 70 definitely was on the Radiator support.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I have a 68 D100 Fargo in my yard and it has 2 stock appearing horns with the add on relay harness. Mounted to rad (pass side) support beside rad in upper portion. I have seen the harness before in other trucks.

dogbert22
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by dogbert22 »

Just fought my horn problems on my '66. I have a single horn, mounted on the radiator support, no relay. Took apart horn ring contact assembly and cleaned. Horn would work if I ran a hot wire directly to the horn itself. Could not get it to work when I ran a hot wire to the horn fuse directly. Suspect the bulkhead connector is bad. Tried to clean it out, but no luck. Ended up splicing a fused (30 amp) hot wire directly from the starter relay into the light green wire after the bulkhead switch. Pulled the horn fuse at the fuse box so it wouldn't,t back feed into the fuse box. Horn is now loud and proud...
3d Gen Chargers!!