Parking light and dash light issue

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
gtpcruizer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: louisville
State: TN

Parking light and dash light issue

Post by gtpcruizer »

1970 D100, parking lights and dash lights come on when ignition switch is turned on. Any ideas what would cause this problem? Headlight switch maybe? Thanks

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Parking light and dash light issue

Post by dodgeboykim »

They should not come on with ignition. Has someone in a previous life worked on wiring. Headlight switch should not do that. Generally does not care what the ignition switch does or does not do. :idea

gtpcruizer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: louisville
State: TN

Post by gtpcruizer »

Not really sure what has been previously done to wiring. Guess it's time to start tracing down wires! lol

archlab
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Smyrna
State: GA

Post by archlab »

on my 69 D100, I've got the same dash light issue. Thankfully the parking lts don't come on....however: The front parking lts Turn OFF when the headlights are on. Previous owners seem to be our problem.

Anyway, I just got done tracing several issues such as the ignition not working unless the turn signal was engaged!
Problem: Brake lights wouldn't work & turn sginal would not engage to do a right turn.
Solution: Replaced the turn signal switch. Fixed those problems, but the new switch's wires weren't the right colors
(probably b/c the repl switch was from a Barracuda, or something).

Problem 2: Reverse lights don't work.
Possible Solutions: Maybe the switch on the Trans is broken, Maybe the wiring is goofed up. Or Maybe....

Problem 3: Front Right Turn Lt doesn''t blink
Solution: Looks like part of the Prev Owner Hack-job. I traced the wiring & found that the wire (the yellow one) with the
blinking was connected to a relay of some sort. I dunno what it's for, strange as heylll.

Problem 4: THE MAIN ISSUE. Ignition, lights, et al. had intermittent problems
Solution: Connectors at the Bulkhead were loose, or not connected due to old age & probable hack-job electrical tampering over the years. I located all the problem connections & spliced in new connectors, did some soldering as well. Issues are now solved.

So, the moral of the Story is that Your main Electrical Problems are likely due to these:
1) Bulkhead Connector - check all the terminals. Remove & Tighten &/or Replace Terminals
2) Turn Signal Switch - Kind of a pain. This is also not a cheap part (price gouging basterrdsss). It may be possible to repair this,
but will be a pain & will require soldering
3) Axx the Guy you bought the beast from WTF he did to the wiring.

FWIW, here are some great links to assist this ordeal:
a) Wiring Diagram http://www.mrmopar.com/1970DodgeTruck/w ... e-Full.png
b) MAD Electrical Guide: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml
c) AllPar Discussion & Guide to Electrical Upgrades: http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

Hope this stuff helps, I also followed the info in these websites on a 1967 & 68 Barracuda. On those two, I replaced the charging system with a later model aAlternator & Voltage Regulator setup (used an alternator from a 1980's V8 on one & I think that I used an Alternator from a 2000's model Intrepid- yes, it was a Nippondenso - 90amp or so). I can definitely tell you guys that these wre excellent improvements whioch eliminated any charging problems & got the power suitable for all my needs.

archlab
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by archlab »

BTW, I used the Nippondenso I think, because ity was much cheaper than the other alternatives. Plus, I think the Nippondenso solved a belt/pulley compatablitiy issue. It's been a few years, so I'm a bit rusty on the memory.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

archlab wrote:....however: The front parking lts Turn OFF when the headlights are on.
This is normal. That is the way it was designed.

archlab
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by archlab »

Well, then that solved one issue...but it's really strange that is normal.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

soopernaut wrote:
archlab wrote:....however: The front parking lts Turn OFF when the headlights are on.
This is normal. That is the way it was designed.

Its easy to hook the front park lights into circuit for rear running/park lights so they are on with headlights. I have done that to my 66 W 100.