electrical guru's please help

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
bobmac25
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san antonio
State: TX

electrical guru's please help

Post by bobmac25 »

Electrical folks I need your help. I had the reverse lights wired thru a switch. I decided to run them correctly so they come on when in reverse. I wired the truck with the ron francis express kit. Dug out my instructions to try to figure it out and a day later I'm here asking for help. Instructions say. run drk green wire and orange wires to back up light switch.Run the orange to a 12v keyed ign. source.then run the green wire to lights. However this is not working. The truck will start in park and neutral only. I assume the nss is working properly. Just can't figure out the lights..

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Re: electrical guru's please help

Post by CSS-Registry »

some more details are needed - what year truck? does the transmission have a three pin neutral safety switch?

my 64 does not.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

bobmac25
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bobmac25 »

yeah sorry guess that is important info.. The truck is a 69 d100 lwb 727 trans with 3 pin nss. Everything that I have read says that the center wire on the switch is for the trans to only start in park or neutral which it does. According to the ron francis instructions I ran a keyed 12v source to one of the outer wires on the switch then the other outer wire to the lights. nothing! I bypassed the switch and as soon as I turn the key the lights come on.. Is it possible the switch is bad? I picked one up last night just to be sure..Is it possible to adjust the switch like if the gear inside the trans isn't fully contacting the switch correctly?

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

that's a tough one. i would hope that it could be adjusted.

i know very little about the three pin switch and i am thinking about upgrading my truck to run some small backup lights under my bumper on my 64.

have you tried swapping the outer wires? have you used a test light to see if it is a grounding issue at the trans?

if you figure this out please let me know.
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

dubs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chantilly
State: VA

Post by dubs »

The outer wires on the 3 pin NSS are interchangeable, and it seems that you have pretty much demonstrated that the reverse switch isn't closing when you shift into R (lights only come on when you bypass it). I've never heard of a way to adjust it, might as well swap for a fresh one, they only cost about $10.
1971 D100 LA 318ci, 1972 Charger B 400ci, 2010 Yaris 80ci, 1963 Sprite 67ci

bobmac25
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bobmac25 »

yeah I'm in the process of doing that now. Figured while I was there perfect time to change fluid and filter in the trans..

bobmac25
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bobmac25 »

neutral safety switch..That little bugger was the issue. replaced the switch wired works..No more gremlins..Thanks for the help.