Wiring Diagram Unclear on Temp Gauge Connections

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
gbentley
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SAN FERNANDO
State: CA

Wiring Diagram Unclear on Temp Gauge Connections

Post by gbentley »

1966 D100 with 318 poly. Trying to reconnect my temp gauge as I repair previous owners' wiring mistakes. I know one terminal on the temp gauge connects to the sending unit. The FSM shows that the other terminal connects to the fuel gauge to get power, but doesn't clearly show where. The fuel gauge has two unused terminals: one is a spade connector that is linked to the buss bar on the ammeter. The other is a threaded post type terminal (like the one the fuel sender wire is connected to). Which one supplies power to the temp gauge?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Wiring Diagram Unclear on Temp Gauge Connections

Post by Jims68 »

On my 1968 there is a "tang" in between the two posts that is over top of the gas gauge. There is a BLACK "jumper wire" that goes from that tang over to the Temp gauge. See my drawing and photo of the back of my dash.
Attachments
222P2010046.JPG
07 Speedometer wiring diagram.jpg
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

gbentley
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SAN FERNANDO
State: CA

Post by gbentley »

Jims68 wrote:On my 1968 there is a "tang" in between the two posts that is over top of the gas gauge. There is a BLACK "jumper wire" that goes from that tang over to the Temp gauge. See my drawing and photo of the back of my dash.
Thanks! The picture is very helpful. That jumper wire with the unique "U" connector at the fuel gauge was missing on my truck, so I made one. The temp gauge now moves when the ignition is turned on...well see if it works when I start the truck. I guess that upper tang at the buss bar end of the fuel gauge isn't connected to anything.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Great! Yeah, go out and warm it up, or take it for a ride to see if it moves. If it doesn't, the next thing to check is the sending unit... GOOD LUCK!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489