starting issue

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

starting issue

Post by Jim100 »

1970 w-100 la small block and electronic ignition.
Battery is good.
I turn key and it makes a clicking sound and that is it. I can get it to start by wiggling back of ignition swith at times or somtimes by turning the lights on and off or blower on and off.
Is this sound like just a bad connection in there or solenoid? Or ignition switch? Maybe the turning of things off and on is coincidence.
Thanks jim

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Re: starting issue

Post by Johninky »

Don't know about a 70 model but my 66 has a solenoid on the inner fender, driver side. Replaced it years ago when it failed with one for a Ford.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

You can jump it with a screwdriver to test it

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

When it just clicks with the key if I poke a big screwdriver down on the solenoid and bridge the terminals all it does is make some sparks. Should it not make the starter turn if all was right?
jim

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Jim100 wrote:When it just clicks with the key if I poke a big screwdriver down on the solenoid and bridge the terminals all it does is make some sparks. Should it not make the starter turn if all was right?
jim
Yes, it should turn the starter over. You are jumping the small wire to the BIG wire... right? OH, It won't start if the key is off, but it WILL turn over even if the key is off. I would "GUESS" that if you jump it over and only gives sparks, you either have a battery that will work the lights, but not enough AMPS to turn it over. OR, starter is JAMMED, OR starter is bad, OR cables on starter are just dirty and need to be cleaned. Just a couple things to try out.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Is the starter relay likely to fail intermittenly?
Also does it have to be grounded where it is fastened ?
Thanks
jim

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Jim100 wrote:Is the starter relay likely to fail intermittenly?
Also does it have to be grounded where it is fastened ?
Thanks
jim
Yes, sometimes the contacts inside "weld" themselves together (or get corroded and/or dirty) and about the grounding, I just screwed it in, but don't think so. Part of my spare parts I carry.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Hmmm.... also, make sure that 4th "tang" is grounded. On my '68, I had to ground that tang with a small wire in order to make it work. Not sure if that could be part of your problem. SEE PHOTO of the YELLOW wire going to the "tang" (circled in RED) that I have on my truck that goes directly to a ground. It's worth a quick look.
Attachments
GND wire.jpg
Jim

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

For whatever reason my relay has only one blade. The second blade on the two blade relay is a ground wire you say?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Jim100 wrote:For whatever reason my relay has only one blade. The second blade on the two blade relay is a ground wire you say?
I forget... Tomorrow morning, I will take a better picture of it. From what I remember, the earlier Swepties had the 3 position relay whereas the 69+ had a 4 way one. They had an extra wire in the harness for it, but I believe it only went to a ground "somewhere".

anyone else chime in about this?? Been a LONG time! :lol:
Jim

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

See the picture of the 4 connections Starter solenoid. This one was for a later model and that is why it has 4 connections on it. My 68 original one only had 3 connections and grounded through the body of the solenoid. Maybe that wasn't good enough and that is why they changed them? I don't know... but I know I had to make up a small (YELLOW) ground wire to make it work. STILL.... you should be able to BYPASS this whole thing by jumping the "Screw" to the "Bolt" and if your starter turns over each time, then you KNOW it isn't the starter. However, if it still just shoots sparks and doesn't turn the starter over, check your battery, make sure your cables are CLEAN at each point, and also check your starter... Maybe it is jamming and works sporadically?
Attachments
Starter.jpg
Last edited by Jims68 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Thanks will check and clean all connections. jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jims68 wrote:See the picture of the 4 connections Starter solenoid. This one was for a later model and that is why it has 4 connections on it. My 68 original one only had 3 connections and grounded through the body of the solenoid. Maybe that wasn't good enough and that is why they changed them? I don't know... but I know I had to make up a small (YELLOW) ground wire to make it work.
I'm thinking that 4th terminal would be for a vehicle equipped with an
automatic tranny neutral safety switch.... :thinking :Thumbsup
John

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Jims68 wrote:See the picture of the 4 connections Starter solenoid. This one was for a later model and that is why it has 4 connections on it. My 68 original one only had 3 connections and grounded through the body of the solenoid. Maybe that wasn't good enough and that is why they changed them? I don't know... but I know I had to make up a small (YELLOW) ground wire to make it work.
John
Sounds logical! I'll buy that! :Thumbsup
Jim

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Hobcobble wrote:
John
It is, I thought that was a given, sorry.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Nothing a given with my operation! Ha Ha.
Thanks for the help everyone as I feel it must be a bad starter. Battery good. I cleaned every single connection to bare metal and used a tiny bit of the electrical grease.
Still the clicking so i did the big screwdriver jump of the two posts on the starter motor and just sparks.
I dont know what magic the solonoid performs but -6 cant help. Im going to pick up a new starter.
Thanks guys
Jim