What is this Orange and this Black wire?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
turtle1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Columbus
State: OH

What is this Orange and this Black wire?

Post by turtle1 »

Hi, just bought a 1969 D100. I'm cleaning up some mildly hacked wiring under the dash. There is thick orange wire coming out of a connector I couldn't figure out on the schematic. Also there is a thin black wire coming from the back of the fuse box. I believe the black wire may be dash lighting? Both are just hanging. I wil try to attach pics.

Where would the black wire connect?

Were would the orange wire connect?

thank you !
Sean
Attachments
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: What is this Orange and this Black wire?

Post by Jims68 »

Sorry, started to think of something, but not correct, so... I can't really help out. Good Luck, I am sure someone will help you soon. :salut

Does either have 12V? Are they "hot" with key on? OR hot all the time? See if cigar lighter has wire. I "THINK" those were black.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Usually the instrument lights and accessory lights wires are orange on all the Mopars I've worked on around that period I think, but that looks like a heavier gauge orange wire.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

Sean, the black wire on my 70 coming from the fuse block (not part of harness wiring) is going to the cigar lighter. The orange wire (not part of the original harness wiring) is going to the steering column gear selector indicator lamp (PRND21).

turtle1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Columbus
State: OH

Post by turtle1 »

cool, followed those. Thankyou!

If anyone else reads this, there is also another black wire coming from behind the fuse box that powers the dash lights. It's hanging loose. I can't figure out where it would attach to the dash to power the lights?
pwadventurer wrote:Sean, the black wire on my 70 coming from the fuse block (not part of harness wiring) is going to the cigar lighter. The orange wire (not part of the original harness wiring) is going to the steering column gear selector indicator lamp (PRND21).

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

turtle1 wrote:cool, followed those. Thankyou!
If anyone else reads this, there is also another black wire coming from behind the fuse box that powers the dash lights. It's hanging loose. I can't figure out where it would attach to the dash to power the lights?
http://www.sweptline.com/tech/69wire.jpg
John :study :idea :Thumbsup